Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Would You Do This?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 08:51 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Default Would You Do This?

It's getting plug time for my '06 GT. The title is the question:

Old 01-23-2014, 01:21 PM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Default Would You Do This?

I started the same thread in the General Discussion before discovering the technical discussion. It appears to be more correctly placed in this forum:

Old 01-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

No. The heads are aluminum and the danger of stripping them is greatly increased if you're using an impact wrench. There is a specific set of instructions on removing the 2 piece plugs safely and they include using a torque wrench to remove. It's your choice, new heads run around $7-900 each.

Are you really ASE certified? I wouldn't allow a mechanic within 500 feet of my car if he doesn't understand this. Most around here are not lazy and do it the right way.

Last edited by Ricardo; 01-24-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:00 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Would def not use an impact wrench...
Old 01-25-2014, 11:02 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Never.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:11 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
No. The heads are aluminum and the danger of stripping them is greatly increased if you're using an impact wrench. There is a specific set of instructions on removing the 2 piece plugs safely and they include using a torque wrench to remove. It's your choice, new heads run around $7-900 each.

Are you really ASE certified? I wouldn't allow a mechanic within 500 feet of my car if he doesn't understand this. Most around here are not lazy and do it the right way.

I found the video to be a bit outrageous, but thought that it would be an interesting topic of discussion. You don't have to be insulting about it.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:25 AM
Steve@Tasca
Former Sponsor

I just sent a message to a friend who's a tech in a very busy Ford shop to ask him about this procedure and what he thinks about it and I'll post his response as soon as I get it.

To be honest I don't personally see the downside to using an impact for removing the plugs, the only issue these have with removal is with the lower section of the plug sticking in the head, not threads seizing so I guess I don't really see the potential for thread or head damage as long as it's only done for removal.

I'd also like to point out that I'm not a trained tech and anyone using this procedure is doing so on their own.

Let's see what my buddy says.

-Steve

EDIT- This procedure is not endorsed or encouraged by Ford it's employees, techs or myself. Anyone using this procedure is doing so of their own free will with full knowledge that it contradicts the Ford service procedures and any damage caused is solely the responsibility of the person attempting it.

Last edited by Steve@Tasca; 02-03-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:18 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Yes, there is at least a little good and at least a little bad with everything. The little bit of good with the 3 valve plugs APPEARS to be that they have more threads in the head to contact the plug, making it more difficult to pull the threads.

IF, the guy in the video consistently gets by with his practice, I think the reason is because of the extra threads in the head.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:12 PM
Steve@Tasca
Former Sponsor

Okay then, I got an answer from my buddy the Ford tech.

He works in one of the largest Ford service departments in the midwest (35+ techs) and according to him 99% of the techs he knows use the impact gun method for REMOVING 3v plugs.

He did say that every once in a while one will still break off but he's never seen any damage to the threads caused by this method and it saves them a ton of time and aggravation.

It is not the Ford approved method but it does appear to be the method most Ford techs are using.

-Steve

EDIT- This procedure is not endorsed or encouraged by Ford it's employees, techs or myself. Anyone using this procedure is doing so of their own free will with full knowledge that it contradicts the Ford service procedures and any damage caused is solely the responsibility of the person attempting it.

Last edited by Steve@Tasca; 02-03-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:59 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Steve for taking time to gather information for the conversation.