Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

o2 sensor going bad?

Old 02-02-2014, 03:58 AM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation o2 sensor going bad?

so i just did a cam swap. and after hooking up everything my car runs fine but has a hesitation at low rpm. i get a cel system running too lean bank 2.

over this year ive been battling out with bama with tunes. a lot of times the car ran rich or lean with pings.

right now my engine seems lik its misfiring all the time after changing spark plugs. took it to my buddy's shop and we check the codes. i had 10 codes. a lot of them were misfiring ignition. after pulling some of the sensors out of the coils they all seemed fine.

and also im getting bad mpg. getting around 12mpg. i seafoam the car too and CEL keeps coming bak on. could it be a o2 sensor going out?
Old 02-02-2014, 07:25 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'm not sure where to start. I don't think I'd have added or changed a thing until I had resolved those issues that existed then. You may have multiple issues which at this point will be a real PITA to resolve. I might consider working backwards to some extent.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:36 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

You could try swapping o2 sensors and see if the dtc changes to bank 1 (clear the codes first). That would tell you that you have a bad sensor, which would cause the running bad and bad mileage.

Otherwise I agree with Nuke. If the problems were there, you need to work those out first before doing any mods.
Now if everything was ok before the cam swap, I'd suspect the cam install process on the driver side, or one of the plugs is not plugged in all the way. Also possible the cam sensor (at front of the engine on driver side) got damaged, but that would cause other codes.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:18 PM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

The car was running fine before the cam swap sorri to get everything mixed up. I fixed the tune myself.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:38 PM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

so i just pulled out my o2 sensor on the driver side and they look lik this. r they bad?

Name:  IMG_8927_zps5ef73c13.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  103.2 KB

i took out the passenger side o2 sensor and that was white too.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:37 AM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

definitely not the sensor. code came bak when i switched the two o2 sensors
Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

on the side with issues, inspect the cam sensor and solenoid, and remove the cover and check things out if needed, too. Was the chain kept tight on the sprocket and down inside so it couldnt jump a link? Almost sounds like the chain is off alignment.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:36 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Hey SYNY5TER,

I was just talking to the Bama Team about your issue and datalogs. Ryan from Bama will be calling you shortly to provide more detail about his diagnosis!

Being that fueling is not controlled per individual banks or sides, there has to be a mechanical problem here. Since your bank1 is within 2-3% and your bank2 is off by 20%. We're thinking there's a chance the timing of the bank2 camshaft is off a tooth or two. This would easily cause the fuel trims to go out of whack on one side of the engine. Assuming there's no air leak in the exhaust.

As I mentioned above, Ryan from Bama will be calling you shortly with more details on what to check or proceed with. He'll work with you until the issue is resolved, regardless of the problem!

Shane
Old 02-05-2014, 07:30 PM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

so basically i just switched my fuel injectors before some of them i guess werent working. but i cleaned a lil bit of it a carb cleaner. and bolted them on and seems lik all of them working now. no missfire i guess.

now when i was driving im looking at my short fuel trim bank 1 and bank 2. im no expert on reading fuel trims but during idle and driving up to 1.5k on rpm i noticed that the bank 1 and bank2 or really off. bank 1 numbers r at lik 1.00 and the bank 2 would be sometimes at .85. idk if this is how i can tell but.

there might be a possible chance the tooth might be off. i tried everything code keeps popping up. could missing a tooth be my problem? and is it really hard to move it bak?
Old 02-06-2014, 03:43 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

I would bet that you're off a tooth on the Bank2 camshaft. If you're not, than there's another mechanical air leak or exhaust leak on Bank2. There's nothing else that would cause only one of two banks to be way off and the other to be dead on.

If the timing chain is off a tooth, than the whole chain has to come off and be realigned with the camshafts in the correct position. This is definitely something you want the shop installed the cams to do. As it's not a quick or easy task.

If you took the car to a reputable shop. They should have no problem fixing this for you. I'd give them a call and schedule a date to drop the car off for the day.

Shane

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: o2 sensor going bad?