Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Which Axle/Set?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:26 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Default Which Axle/Set?

I am trying tofigure out which of the following is better. For the most part the car will see the very occaisonal track session, and figure in shop costs for the 2nd option. I'd like CONSTRUCTIVE opinions please;

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-s...mbly-0512.html

http://www.brenspeed.com/bren8-8package.html

Don't make this a debate on 3.73v4.10, thats not the point here. Thanks
Old 02-16-2014, 01:35 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

I went with the FRPP rear axle assembly.

Figured it is a lot less hassle than a tiny slip-up by someone setting up the gears and having to take it back again and again. Have never had much luck around here finding someone who can do it perfect, even the dealers.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:42 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Well, looking at your mods, you're right were I want to go..... That sounds like a good deal, And I think I'll wait to install my LCA/UCA when i swap the rear end

I was a little worried about how much it can handle, but with those numbers.... it should be good, no?
Old 02-18-2014, 01:31 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dlazrael
I am trying tofigure out which of the following is better. For the most part the car will see the very occaisonal track session, and figure in shop costs for the 2nd option. I'd like CONSTRUCTIVE opinions please;

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-s...mbly-0512.html

http://www.brenspeed.com/bren8-8package.html

Don't make this a debate on 3.73v4.10, thats not the point here. Thanks
I really don't think you can go wrong. We've had a lot of success with the FRPP set up. It's definitely one of the most popular rear assembly's out there! This kit comes fully assembled so all you have to do is install it. If you're going to be racing the car at the track occasionally, this is definitely your best option.

Let us know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future. We'd be glad to help you out! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan

Last edited by AMDanBailer; 02-18-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:03 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Its holding up great for me. Painted it all up before the install. I did put Moser axles in it, BMR relo brackets, and got the UCA bushing and "turkey baster" vent for it from a dealer. The rear end does NOT come with a UCA bushing installed.

Only PITA's are installing the UCA bushing and tightening the UCA bolt on the pumpkin side.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:40 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Are the axles with it considered safe for drag racing... or will I get booted off the track running "OEM" (even if it is FRPP GT500) parts?
Old 02-22-2014, 12:26 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

For your GT, the stock axles are fine. Let me put it this way: I've made probably close to 250 track passes, maybe more, with my 8.8 and stock axles, pushing a "little more" power to the wheels. No issues. .

And, yours is the same axles used in 2007-2009 GT500 rear ends, if that means anything.

If you are considering aftermarket axles, I've found the Moser's to fit and install far more properly than the Strange axles (have installed some for various friends). The Strange lengths are not correct for the rear ends in our S197's when using the stock c-clips: one shaft a little too short, one a little too long.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:23 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Sound advice... I was looking at cost + shop cost + gear. I need to drop those 3.31s in the back, they're horrible. Still haven't 100% on 3.73 or 4.10s but will be getting one of those two. (I do alot of hwy driving commuting to work).

Thanks folks