Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
VistaBlueGT/CS
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT/CS
Default parking brake cable issues?

The previous owner of my '07 GT/CS said I need to replace the parking brake cables soon because the new ones are redesigned to correct a flaw that could make them freeze locked up if used in wet conditions in freezing temps. Anyone heard of this?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 GT Vert, 02 GT Vert

Yep.....not sure of the years involved but there may be a TSB out there to find info on it.
I wake up in the morning with nothing to do and by supper time, I have half of it done.

2008 GT Vert, stock
2000 Lightning, s/c, tuned, Basanni, built tranny
Previous Mustangs:4 - '66 Coupes(silver/blue/grey/red) '87 GT HO, '00/'02/'07 GT Vert(red)(grey)(black), '68 Coupe, '11 GT/CS
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:12 AM   #3
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Very common. DO NOT use the ebrake in sub-freezing temps. Ask me how I know lol...
hootie_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Yes, there IS a TSB on it but I don't believe that all of the pre-TSB S197's are subject to the problem. Did the previous owner tell you that your car specifically had this freeze problem happen to it? Being out of warranty, very few dealerships will do the repair at no charge.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: '08 S197 GT

http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/t...sb06-05-04.pdf this is the TSB it is mainly for 05-06 models built on/before Oct 2005.

As I recall, those models didn't have a boot on the cable at all. This one states to look for deterioration of the boot (which implies the newer part number).

Anyways, if the boot is work and allowing water into the cable assembly, that water freezes and locks your parking brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:47 PM   #6
VistaBlueGT/CS
1st Gear Member

Thank you very much for the info, guys.

The previous owner didn't necessarily give the impression that this car had the problem, but he said he had always planned to replace the cables but just never did.

Sounds to me like I should be safe, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to crawl under it and inspect the cables...once it warms up.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #7
VistaBlueGT/CS
1st Gear Member

...or just not use the parking brake if it's cold, I guess!
Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement