Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Oil line leak

Old 02-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Steve Aiken

Default Oil line leak

In my 2005 GT, I have a small oil leak in one of the external lines at the front of the engine. I have not yet crawled under there to identify where it goes. Is there an oil line schematic someone could guide me to? Thanks
Old 02-23-2014, 12:54 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

identify what is leaking and what the fluid is, and exactly where; post up a picture or two.

If you have an auto transmission, it could be transmission fluid. The hoses going into the trans cooler can leak.
Is it the a/c condenser tube connection (right up front at the bottom-passenger side)?
Is it coolant?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:50 AM
Steve Aiken

thanks for responding. It seems to be engine oil. the drip is coming off a fluid line that takes a U bend sideways near the front of the engine. With a limited view since the car is not jacked up, it almost seems like the line is part of the power steering system. It could be as simple as a dripping from the oil filter on to that fluid line and then it migrates over to the center-passenger side to fall to the ground. I will jack the car up today, I hope, to look more closely
Old 02-24-2014, 01:37 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The only way it could be engine oil is if it is coming form the engine, or like you said, the oil filter. It's not uncommon for them to leak, and get on the steel power steering line, and drip somewhere from it.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:34 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

It sounds like the power steering cooling loop. Its the silver line that runs across the front of the radiator and back. Look between the power steering fluid reseviour and the brake control. The rubber hoses that come out of the PS fluid reseviour and pump can develop leaks where they are crimped into the cooling loop. The fluid is pink and drips down the line making it tricky to pinpoint. You'll need a new cooling loop and It is $135 or so. You'll also need new fluid...a bottle or two will suffice.

Last edited by Ricardo; 02-24-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:41 AM
Steve Aiken

It was the oil filter that was leaking from the base. Yes, this is uncommon in my experience. It was very tight and hard to remove, perhaps it was over tightened . As all should know the correct way to install a filter is run a small amount of oil around the gasket on the new filter, screw in by hand until smug, and then one full turn with a filter wrench. Thanks all for your inputs
Old 02-25-2014, 05:16 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Some manufacturers recommend only 1/2 - 3/4 turn after the seal makes contact.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:32 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Been changing screw on filters for years. Stopped using wrench to tighten many years ago. I get oil onto seal, make sure hands and filter surface are clean, then hand tighten as much as I can by hand. Even then, I do not think I've ever been able to get the same filter off without the use of a wrench, and I've never had one leak.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:12 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by algregory
Been changing screw on filters for years. Stopped using wrench to tighten many years ago. I get oil onto seal, make sure hands and filter surface are clean, then hand tighten as much as I can by hand. Even then, I do not think I've ever been able to get the same filter off without the use of a wrench, and I've never had one leak.
EXACTLY what I do, and I also get no leaks this way.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by algregory
+1 !!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil line leak