Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

'05 GT won't start after sitting since Nov

Old 03-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Exclamation '05 GT won't start after sitting since Nov

Hi all!

So I've been storing my car past 9 years each winter in MA in an unheated garage. Tried to start it last week and turns but does not start. Tried trickle charger and jump charge. Not battery. Fuze looks same as rest of them.

Friend had me remove the air intake and shoot starter fluid. Car starts and dies. No fuel! Tried the fuel reset button on driver floor wall. Didn't work but now I smelled smoke! Ug!

Someone else told me have someone bang on gas tank while I try to start it. Really?

Final straw will be to have it towed to a garage.

Love to hear some suggestions!
Old 03-11-2014, 01:04 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Maybe try turning your key a few times off and on and listening for the fuel pump cycling. See if that primes the fuel system and gets you started. Also, do you have an alarm that has a kill switch?
Old 03-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Margarita Girl

Originally Posted by wcgman
Maybe try turning your key a few times off and on and listening for the fuel pump cycling. See if that primes the fuel system and gets you started. Also, do you have an alarm that has a kill switch?

Tried turning the key on and off and listening near the gas tank. I don't hear anything. Fuel pump shot?

My alarm is the factory one on the key fob.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:16 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

The fuel pump will only run for a few seconds when you cycle the key. So it might take two people to listen. When you first tried to start it, did it try at all? I'm wondering if you might have had some crud in your tank and plugged the filter.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Margarita Girl

First time I tried to start it didn't seem to have enough turn. Did not start. That's when I thought battery. Used a jump with meter that read 12.4 amps. Car started when fluid shot into intake.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

How cold is the garage? How much gas is in the tank? Did you use a fuel stablizer before storage?
If you car was below freezing for several weeks, and 1/2 tank or less, prob has ice in the fuel line.
I'd let it warm up for a few days and try again. If you did freeze a fuel line, and run the fuel pump too long, it will burn it out. You may want to try to sound test suggested by CPTCO. You can also disconnect a fuel line and check the pressure, be safe, don't light your car on fire!
Stale fuel can make an engine hard to start, I'd check all the plugs and make sure they are clean, they'll burn old gas a little better that old plugs. Btw, If you pull a plug, smell it to see if it smells like gas. If it does, fuel pump is prob OK.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:36 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

It's probably on of a few things.
1. You need to allow more time for the gas to reach the throttle body, give a shot of ether to get the car to fire, and use short sprays to keep it running for a minute or so (I've seen cars take what seems like an eternity)
2. Bad fuel pump/fuse/wiring could be a mouse ate some wires, fuel pump could've quit, etc.
3. Fuel filters are cheap, I'd pull the one that's on it now. Cycle the key a few times to see if you get any gas. Then you might as well put a new one on while it's apart.

That's a good place to start anyhow.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Margarita Girl

Thanks guys. I live in MA and it's been a cold winter. I have 3/4 of a tank of gas in it and I thought my ex put the stabilizer in it. There's an empty container in garage but can't be certain and can't ask.

A friend and I ran the car for a minute or two by shooting the starter fluid up the intake but the car would not run on its own.

The car has 22,000 original miles.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:16 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Did you try resetting the fuel pump in the trunk? Look in your manual to see where the reset is on your car.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:39 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Same thing happened to me last spring. Fuel pump died.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '05 GT won't start after sitting since Nov