Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Bad ticking sound 05 GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:46 AM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

So they haven't torn into the engine yet, but the techs are pretty sure they're going to need a whole new engine. If warranty doesn't cover it I'm looking at $7400
Old 03-31-2014, 04:53 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

Ouch! Hope that's not the case!
Old 04-01-2014, 10:42 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Sounds like they may be BSing you although I am not saying it can't be a bad motor, just don't trust any of the dealerships....
Old 04-01-2014, 02:02 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Carcrazycorey1
So they haven't torn into the engine yet, but the techs are pretty sure they're going to need a whole new engine. If warranty doesn't cover it I'm looking at $7400
Well that sucks!!! With the video you provided I wouldn't have kept driving it. Im sure its catastrophic but you never know. As for what redfire said. You must becarefull. I have a mutual friend of my wifes. She has a crv that would shift abnormally from second to third. She took it to the dealership and the lady said your tranny is bad it will cost you this much or we have plenty of new and used crvs in our lot. So she took it to a different shop to have them do the work. When she dropped it off she never asked them for a second opinion. She just wanted them to swap out the tranny so they did. Well the abnormal shift was still there. Upon further inspection it was her drive shaft that needed replaced.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:03 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

and if you need a new motor you might as well upgrade it
Old 04-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

I hear ya guys. Well the pulled the engine apart, a valve managed to make contact with the piston, and damaged the inside of the cyclinder he said. So the warranty company is sending out an agent to inspect it
Old 04-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

Oh and apparently my brother is buying an 07 GT tomorrow in grabber orange. Mine dies and my brother gets the same kind of mustang I have lol
Old 04-01-2014, 07:40 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

07 is a good choice mine has been a champ since day one of ownership
Old 04-02-2014, 11:39 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

One mustang is not like the other...

I hope you get everything squared away. I know if my engine ever goes south I'll drop it off at brenspeed for a stroker. If I am out money, might as well upgrade and spend a "little" more. I am stock, and she's maintained, so that won't happen anytime soon (knock on wood).
Old 04-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

So big update here, inspector from the warranty company checked out the damage, and the warranty company is willing to replace my engine. Here's the catch. They want to get an engine from LKQ that is used and won't cover the full amount of a new factory engine from ford. The guy at the dealership said if I wanted to get the new engine from Ford I would have to pay the difference, but it has a 3 year unlimited mile warranty if I get the new one from ford. The used one from LKQ is only a 1 year warranty. The difference if I were to get the new one from Ford would be about $1800.

Is it worth it to get the new one and pay the difference? My parents are willing to help cover some of the cost, which would be great. Or should I just take the used one they are offering and pay just the $100 deductible? I'm leaning towards the new one from Ford, I do plan on keeping the car for a while and I don't wanna risk what could happen with a used engine. Thoughts guys?

Quick Reply: Bad ticking sound 05 GT