Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

What is causing this sound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Eleazargray

Default What is causing this sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TYD...ature=youtu.be

I have an 05 GT and I don't know if this is normal for my car.

Also my car goes into fail safe mode every 4 or 5 days. It's random really.
What's the best way to clean under the hood without damaging anything?
Old 04-29-2014, 11:16 AM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

it could be a number of things from timing chain tensioners going bad to the cam sprockets coming apart to just noisy injectors. pull the codes and post results and that should give you a good starting point without just throwing parts at it.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:08 PM
Eleazargray

My stang got drastically worse since this post..the sound is even louder than before.
Major power loss, it makes no difference whether i barely tap the peddle or if i'm nearly to the floor the car stays at 2k rpm and will not move. It's an auto. It changes gears at like 1800-2k rpm. it used to do it at 3k. Only when I push the pedal as hard as I can will it go fast like it used too.

I just changed the tps sensor and cleaned the throttle bod.(poorly since i couldnt take it off)
The car exhaust sounds alot louder and raspier too. When driving on coldstarts it sounds horrible. I don't push the car passed 2k rpm on cold and it sounds like all kinds of metal things are rattling around in there.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-15-2014, 07:07 PM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

If it sounds like metal to metal then stop driving it. If you keep driving it whatever it is will cost you more and maybe a motor.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:15 PM
Eleazargray

It's my only ride to work right now..
Also when I switch from PRND123 mainly from R to D it feels as if the battery is about to die and shut off but then it goes back to norm. Does this happen to anyone else?
I was looking at the rpm while going a steady speed and it'll slightly jump down and back up and you can feel the car jerking.

These are some of the codes I have gotten but they go away and come whenevr they want.
P0345
P0622
P1000
P2015

I've taken it to the shop and they said I need to change lifters and timing chains. they would charge me $1800..does that seem right? Can I do it myself for cheaper?
Old 05-15-2014, 11:43 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Get the alternator checked, cel 0345 is famous when you have a bad alternator. Yes it makes no sense as thats a cam postion sensor code. When they go bad all kinds of weird sh#t happens. Sounds like noisy injectors to me....but have you checked the obvious? All fluids full? If it is your alternator get a PA one not a auto parts store unit. AM sells them.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:51 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like injectors but maybe also a little more, hard to tell over the vid. But make sure the injectors are clean and clear. It may be causing the motor to surge.. And make noise and loss of power. 1 thing at a time to troubleshoot
Old 05-16-2014, 11:41 AM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

when you get a chance, pull your valve covers off and check all the cam lobes and followers. this sounds like another vid I seen with the same noise. turned out to be that one of the lifters wasn't getting oil and got hot and discolored (very easy to spot). the oil galley to that particular lifter had gotten plugged hence the lack of oil. also check/replace your alt. p0345 cam position sensor circuit bank 2 (drivers side) and p0622 generator field terminal circuit. definitely get these 2 things done asap and post back. don't want to drive much at all if cam lifter is going bad. post back results and good luck.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Eleazargray

OK so I changed both cps(bank 1 and 2) but its still the same. Whenever I stop at a light it feels like its going to shutt off any second. Do you guys think the alternator could really be the problem? I went to auto zone and they checked the alt and said it wasn't a problem. They said it was running at 13 vtls. I'm not sure what else to do..
Old 05-19-2014, 06:30 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

That noise is def. coming from the valve train, I have never heard injectors that loud.

Quick Reply: What is causing this sound?