Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 11-04-2015, 12:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Batteries not dead, car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 11:59 AM
pennstateengineer

Default Batteries not dead, car wont start

So this morning I tried to start my car, but the engine wont turn. When I turn the key all the electrical components (radio, lights etc) shut off, no distinct sounds from the engine, and the airbag light blinks (don't know if that is significant). The car started perfectly fine yesterday, not sure what is wrong.

Any ideas?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

And how do you know your battery is ok?
Old 04-30-2014, 02:13 PM
pennstateengineer

because its was replaced 3 years ago, and the dashboard indicates a good charge. all electronics work, dont get the ticking sound of a weak battery
Old 04-30-2014, 03:34 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

That doesn't mean anything. Unless the battery is load tested you can't tell anything not to mention most forum goes buy the cheapest parts possible you have to consider if you bought a bogus battery it may be dead, hell I've seen OEM batteries die after 3 years too.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:11 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

What happens when you use jumper cables? If the car starts using jumper cables then it's battery time.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:59 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

...not to mention, the 05-09's are notorious for the alternators crapping out.

I agree with the others, don't rely on what the instrument panel is telling you. All that means is that it's pulling enough charge to light the necessary gauges. Test the battery and alternator.
You'd also be well advised to get in the habit of turning everything off every time you get out of the car. The CD player especially in those model years will still draw a charge if you turn off the car with it on.
Try unhooking the battery cables for a few minutes and try again, jump it if necessary then test everything for correct voltage
Old 04-30-2014, 10:14 PM
pennstateengineer

Havent tried jumping it yet, but I got the alternator replaced by the dealership a couple years back. They were recalled apparently.
I replaced the OEM radio already and everything was off when I got in the car, I'm really good about that.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:51 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pennstateengineer
Havent tried jumping it yet, but I got the alternator replaced by the dealership a couple years back. They were recalled apparently.
I replaced the OEM radio already and everything was off when I got in the car, I'm really good about that.
Good deal! Check the alternator anyways...they may have been recalled, but all of the replacements are refurbs from my understanding. They fail at some point on the 05-09's, just not enough of them under warranty or in general. Better off with an aftermarket one at some point.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:14 PM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by steel pony
Good deal! Check the alternator anyways...they may have been recalled, but all of the replacements are refurbs from my understanding. They fail at some point on the 05-09's, just not enough of them under warranty or in general. Better off with an aftermarket one at some point.
It's been years since I was working for GM, but back then, they used AC Delco, which was a great company and brand. What does Ford use for OEM electrical like that?

I always thought aftermarket was so hit or miss with this area of parts though too. Refurb isn't terrible. Just think of it like "New with all the bugs worked out" haha!
Old 05-01-2014, 02:00 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Three years is a long time for a battery! Check it out to make sure, had enough to turn the lights in and maybe but maybe not crank it over.. What noise does it make when you turn the key?

Quick Reply: Batteries not dead, car wont start