Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

engine reving when parked?

Old 05-05-2014, 11:34 AM
rebel_logan

Default engine reving when parked?

i have a 05 gt automatic with 62000 miles on her. it has the bbk package the cai , 62mm throttle body, and bkk shorty headers, stock h pipe into magnaflows. that is the only performance parts i know the car has i did buy it with them already on the car by previous owner.

now for the problems when it is in park or even stopped at a stop light you can feel and hear the car dropping the rmps about 500 -1000. the other night when parked in a parking lot for about 30 minutes i left and stopped at the store and it died. started back up fine and drove back home and died at the stop light by my house. it starts back up fine and hasnt died since. i have been using 87 or 91 octane gas in the car since i got it the begining of april. does it need a tuner? its not throwing any codes and the built in system check said everything was ok. car does have two exhaust leaks i know of.

i want a tuner for it anyways but i dont know if it will fix the problem. i was of the understanding that these mods didnt have to have a tuner but i also know most intakes do.
thanks

Last edited by rebel_logan; 05-05-2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-05-2014, 11:55 AM
rebel_logan

motor does also have a slight ticking sound it sounds similar to an injector but it could be the exhaust leaks also. i have heard that ticking is normal in mustangs and my 07 gt i used to have sounded similar.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:39 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

These cars are finely balanced machines. You need to get a tune. I'd recommend one from AmericanMuscle.com, the BAMA tunes for life is a great deal, everytime you change something they'll email you a tune in a day or two. I'd say the tune is probably 99% of the problem, the car isn't balanced right.

Also, you can get MAF Cleaner (Specifically this because of the chemical make-up) and spray off/clean the MAF

I'd also remove the TB and thoroughly clean it BOTH sides, a bit of burned on oil buildup can cause issues as well

Lastly, I'd highly recommend a JLT Catch Can (or variant from another company) they catch alot of the residual blow by oil that can get into the intake... it's amazing the amount of crap that you get with one....

I'm sure more people will chime in, but 100% will agree you need a tuner and tune!
Old 05-05-2014, 01:41 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

As for the ticking... does it get louder as you go to WOT? If not its PROBABLY the injectors... which is OK
Old 05-05-2014, 02:07 PM
rebel_logan

ok thats what i thought i am buying a tuner today and i will clean the intake, maf, and throttle body today! it doesnt seem to get louder just always there.
thanks for the help!
Old 05-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Clean the TB first before doing anything else; that's likely the issue. DON'T load the tune (you did order custom tunes and didn't get the crap SCT canned tune, did you?) until you're sure the parts cleaning AND FUEL FILTER REPLACEMENT aren't the culprit(s).
Old 05-05-2014, 09:36 PM
rebel_logan

Yes I got custom tunes for my aftermarket parts. Where is the fuel filter? I can't find it yet.

I did clean the intake and filter and cleaned the tb it helped but its still reving when parked but not as much.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:45 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

A little maintenance should help, they all fluctuate at stop lights a few hundred rpms.. Unless it's going up and down and up and down.... MAF cleaner, throttle body cleaned and fuel filter, maybe even run fuel enjector/combustion chamber cleaner next time you fill up. Try the simple things first
Old 05-05-2014, 10:31 PM
rebel_logan

Yea I'm going to run some Lucas in it when I fill up next. Where is the fuel filter at?
Old 05-06-2014, 03:31 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Under the car, right about where the driver seat is.. Have to remove a plastic cover to see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine reving when parked?