Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Best "bang for the buck" Shifter & Exhaust for 4.6L

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 03:42 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default Best "bang for the buck" Shifter & Exhaust for 4.6L

What do you think is the best "Value" in:

1. Shifter for an '08 4.6L 5 speed trans.? I don't care about racing it, but want a more positive, definite shift.

2. A set of mufflers to get a "little" louder exhaust sound without drone. I don't want it crazy loud, just like to hear the exhaust a little louder at lower RPM. At higher RPM the Supercharger is all I hear anyway! (SMILE)!
Old 06-03-2014, 12:33 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Best value (not the best shifter) is the Hurst Billet. It's $100 cheaper than a Barton or MGW. Some folks will say there is that much difference in the quality, but I'm happy with my Hurst. It is much better than the stocker, and I don't miss shifts unless I get lazy with my feet (I'll miss the 3-4 if I get lazy, I have yet to miss the 2-3). It is notchy and makes some noise.
I went with the Pypes Violators for my axle-back, just a bit over $100 cheaper than a Flowmaster axle-back. The quality is less than the Flowmasters (thinner metal, clamps are junk). The Flowmasters may actually be a better value, but I'm not changing at this point.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:11 PM
iShift

Hi there. My '08 GT is fully stock except for a the outlaw axle-back. While this exhaust is noticeably louder, I personally don't think it's obnoxiously loud, unless you're getting on the throttle. As far as the drone goes, it is definitely there, but it hasn't ever bothered me because I am either looking to hear the note, or listening to music. When you do get on the throttle and approach the 4.5k to 5.5k rpm range, the car sounds like mid-60's or 70's muscle and I love it. Below I have posted a video I uploaded to youtube with a cold-start comparison. I shot it at 7am however before work, so no revs sorry!

I hope this helps!

--shot on a Sony HDR-XR160
Old 06-04-2014, 05:32 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

I have the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter and I love it! Super short throw, and very crisp shifting.

For exhaust I am running the Flowmaster American Thunder catback system.

If you are looking to stay on the cheaper side, they do have the axle back!
I wouldn't cheap out on the shifter though...
Old 06-04-2014, 06:20 PM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

My vote for shifter is MGW. The fact that throw is adjustable 15-40% and the actual shifter lever is adjustable left/right and up/down are a big bonus. It also sits further back about an inch. Very positive shift. You feel it go in. The centering spring is tough at first for 1-2, but softened up a tad bit after a few hundred miles. About right now.

You can basically personalize it. My wife has short arms and now having it sit closer to her lower and towards the driver side helped her a lot. Setting to one side also helps when drinks are in the holders to not hit your arm.

As far a exhaust I have borla stinger axle-backs setting in the garage for a few weeks now. They are pretty pricey though at ~$470. Love the borla sound though. Hoping to have a few hrs free this weekend to install.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I have a hurst and like it a lot. I've heard numerous times the mgw is the best for these cars. I like the look of the hurst that's why I went with it, as well as it being cheaper by 100.00. Very positive shifts and extremely short, just a little notchy and harsh. As far as exhaust it's all preference, try and see some YouTube clips but the sound really does it no justice, rumor is the flowmasters drone a lot!!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Leroyx

I have the flowmaster american thunder 'classics' and they do drone a lot but I still like them. The burbling sound on downshifts is amazing. Crushing on the highway almost silent. If you don't want drone look elsewhere for sure!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:51 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

1. MGW. None better.

2. Corsa. Great sound, quiet at cruise and ZERO drone.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:05 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Thanx guys! I appreciate the information. My only question is whether I'll be able to tell the difference with a supercharger. The blower whine sort of drowns out the exhaust.

The shifter info. is great!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:19 AM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

keep your eye on your local CL. I picked up a used mgw shifter for 120 and love it. I also found some bissani axle backs for 120, they sound awesome and not overly loud but do drone a bit around 2500 rpm but not terrible. I also picked up a sct 3015 tuner unmarried for 200. there are several sets of flowmaster and gt500 axle backs in the dfw area for sale right now. there is also a guy selling a one piece drive shaft for 525$. always good stuff on there if you check often. good luck

Quick Reply: Best "bang for the buck" Shifter & Exhaust for 4.6L