Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Any S197 3V's with 600 -800hp DD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 04:34 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

My street pump gas tune is 600rwhp. I could run maybe 650 safely but why? When you get up into the 550-600 rwhp range it really isn't as fun to drive as something around 500.

I have twin turbos, an auto and an extremely good tune, so it's a lot easier to DD then for someone with a manual and a PD blower. I can drive it almost like stock but I have to be very careful with throttle application in the lower gears. If I get into much boost, in the lower gears, it just blows the tires off, even with drag radials on the rear.

As Mike said in his post, you have to really be in control all the time. You can end up sideways, or in a ditch, in an instant. If you have never driven an high HP car on the street, you really need to think about where you want your build to end up.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:56 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
I have one of those 3V's in the power range you're asking about, with a Kenne Bell 2.6L Stage 2, running 18 psi of boost. (I estimate engine power being around 725-750, with mild losses through a non-locked automatic, dyno'd at 600 at the wheels on 93 octane pump gas only.)
The engine is a custom forged build to handle the power, and transmission and driveshaft to support it as well, through a GT500 rear end.

It isn't technically a daily driver, but I have driven it to work and do drive it on the street for fun and on weekends (I no longer daily drive it because of all the other idiot drivers out there!). It is 100% street legal, and mean at the drag strip!

As mentioned, it takes a LOT of supporting modifications to support that kind of power.

And if you have never driven a 500+ hp car on the street, it all depends how well it is tuned. Some people have 'touchy pedal' issues, but mine drives very well.
And when you "get on it", you better have some good tires, and have that "butt-clench" going on, because things happen really fast, and you must stay in control. You can be going 30 mph and hit it and in a few seconds be easily flying past 100. Fun Fun Fun!!!
Not trying to threadjack, but I am interested in this as well. I picked up Danzcool's only 2.3L Whipple and love it... but of course, I want more. I'm looking at the B326 block and T56 at some point (year or two), But the question turns to this, you say GT500 rear end are you speaking of this? :http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-s...mbly-0512.html

I was also looking into this: with 4.10s: http://www.brenspeed.com/bren8-8package.html

Bottom line is cost savings vs benefit analysis, wearability and of course, legal at the strip... Thanks ahead of time for input
Old 06-25-2014, 08:35 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Im a little north of 500 about 525 and its drives great on the stock tranny. Im gonna leave it where its at but I may have them tweak the tune a bit to get 10 sec1/4. I have added some weight to my car. Sound deadeingin added a lot. my best run is 11.2 so far. I have always been under the impression once you get passed 550 they are not that fun to drive on the street any more. But im sure that's all in ones opinion. Id like to swap out the tranny but I don't think I will unless my tranny takes a dump which im not expecting it too.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:03 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
Im a little north of 500 about 525 and its drives great on the stock tranny. Im gonna leave it where its at but I may have them tweak the tune a bit to get 10 sec1/4. I have added some weight to my car. Sound deadeingin added a lot. my best run is 11.2 so far. I have always been under the impression once you get passed 550 they are not that fun to drive on the street any more. But im sure that's all in ones opinion. Id like to swap out the tranny but I don't think I will unless my tranny takes a dump which im not expecting it too.
I'd leave the stock auto in there at that power level, but would recommend upgrading the intermediate and overdrive servos, and if possible, the input shaft. TCI makes upgraded replacements, and I had them in my 5r55s and it held up to 500 to the wheels just fine. That's a good trans for streetability, but as you get into higher power, if you do a lot of racing, it won't hold up that long, unless you're one of the lucky ones.

diazrael, the GT500 rear end I have I picked up locally from a private seller; just happened to be an 8.8 and i was looking for one at the time.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:36 AM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Daily driving a 3v with this much power is possible but it takes some serious coin to ensure it will stay on the road daily. As mentioned by a lot of these guys...upgrade your fuel system!
Old 08-01-2014, 05:28 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

I DD my car, 365 days a year, even in the snow during winter. I bought it and modded it to drive it, not hide it in the garage.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:09 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
This is where I am at. Stock displacement, cams and mostly stock exhaust. 15 psi @540 rwhp. Stock tranny and driveshaft. Axles are original.

I drive DRs everyday and everything works great. I could probably add cams, long tubes and a few psi and make 600 rwhp. BUt I'm happy where I'm at. Only thing I would really like to change is the tranny.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:51 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
This is where I am at. Stock displacement, cams and mostly stock exhaust. 15 psi @540 rwhp. Stock tranny and driveshaft. Axles are original.

I drive DRs everyday and everything works great. I could probably add cams, long tubes and a few psi and make 600 rwhp. BUt I'm happy where I'm at. Only thing I would really like to change is the tranny.
Nice. I tend to leave my DRs on all summer then switch back to my other setup. I'm waiting for a cool day to head back to the track to see if I can't crack the 10 sec barrier.

Nice car ap