Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Emissions Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 07:10 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default Emissions Warning Light

I have an '05 GT with about 68,000 miles on it. I was heading down to the local Ford Dealer to have the NC "Safety Check" done. Damned if the Emissions warning light didn't decide to make an appearance!

Dealer didn't have time to check that out and can't do the NC "check" until that issue is handled. Going back Monday. Has anyone had an issue with their emissions? At this mileage? Have a clue? Curious.

Two - three years ago I had the fuel pump replaced under "emissions" issues. It was good, GT works better with the new pump. It was replaced because the pressure of the fuel line returning excess fuel to the fuel tank was too high.

Just wondering and informing.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:27 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Got to a local auto parts store, like autozone, and get them to pull your codes. Then post back what they tell you.

The information you posted is almost as bad as a wife coming in and saying "the car broke". Well, what does that mean? Wont crank? wont start? Door wont open?
Without details about the issue, you are essentially saying the same thing.

And, there is no "emissions" light on these cars. There is a check engine light, which can indicate a problem in many different areas of the car. And the dealer is correct, they can't pass it with that light on.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:18 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
Got to a local auto parts store, like autozone, and get them to pull your codes. Then post back what they tell you.

The information you posted is almost as bad as a wife coming in and saying "the car broke". Well, what does that mean? Wont crank? wont start? Door wont open?

And, there is no "emissions" light on these cars. There is a check engine light, which can indicate a problem in many different areas of the car. And the dealer is correct, they can't pass it with that light on.
This.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:43 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang

That morning I started the car up to go get NC "Safety Check" had an appointment, had it within minutes. At stop lights betwixt my house and dealer I quickly accessed "Owners Manual" to see what the light was about. On page 9 of my owner's manual, first column, 3rd from the bottom is a symbol which matches the one on my dashboard, which Ford identifies as "Emissions System" which is how the Ford Dealer Service Desk and I discussed it. However, I do see, in your favor, on page 11 of the very same manual at the top the SAME SYMBOL is identified as "Service Engine Soon."

On further perusal of the owner's manual on page 220 you will again find the same symbol as referenced on page 9 identified as "Emission Control System" and on page 221 "On Board Diagnostics" tells us our car is supplied with a computer that monitor's the engine's "Emissions Control System."

For the record the dealer did not say leave it here, it may blow up or something. They did not tell me to drive carefully home, and drive as little as possible. The book makes no mention of either directive, and in fact says try some new gas, check the gas cap, and drive it to see if the light goes out. HOWEVER, THE BOOK DOES SAY if the light is blinking that you could be experiencing spark plug misfires which could cause overheating of the exhaust system of the demise of the catalytic converters, and harm to your pocketbook. In that case you need to proceed with easy driving to the dealer for a fix in short order.

So, that being said, I think my question was perfectly valid. Which was has anyone experienced this "Emissions Control System" warning light come on, and what did it turn out to be? As I said, I've already had the issue once before which was my fuel pump giving me a hassle.

Due to the basic lack of response I'm thinking I'm cursed with this "Emissions Control System" light now invading my space for the second time whilst no one else has seen theirs appear.

Lastly, FYI, the Dealer told me that even after I bring in the car, they check it out and administer the fix, that I still need to drive it for 75 miles afterwards so systems "reset" before they can do the NC "Safety Check." FWIW
Old 07-06-2014, 02:33 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Look, many of us have years of experience with these cars and the nuances they can have. A few of us fully understand how the computer system is tied in with the myriad of sensors and systems in various areas of the car. We have real world experience finding and fixing errors.

You trying to use the owner's manual to fix this is utterly useless, as you've found out.
The first step to solving your issues, whether old or new, is simple: read the f'ing DTCs that the computer has detected on your car, and that provides the area of concern that needs to be investigated. Simple. Go somewhere and get them read. If you had a tuner device you could read them yourself.
Thousands of other Mustang owners have done this, you are not unique except in the desire to not like what we are telling you. So go back to your owners manual and try to fix it that way, then get tired of trying, and eventually take it to the dealer or a shop to get it fixed, and spend far more money and time than you should. And then go ask for advice somewhere else.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:29 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If it realy is an emmissions control system light, it could be as simple as a new fuel cap gasket which a very common issue related to emmission problems.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:22 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
If it realy is an emmissions control system light, it could be as simple as a new fuel cap gasket which a very common issue related to emmission problems.
Good thing is its only going to cost me $50 with my aftermarket maintenance insurance.

Bad thing it going to cost me $50 when at 51.1k I had to have a new fuel pump due to the "Emissions Light" coming on, and here at 68.4k it wants ANOTHER fuel pump!

Fuel cap gasket would have been better!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:28 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

For the record, please note in my original posting I said in second paragraph, last word, that I was "curious" I WAS NOT asking people to diagnose my car I was just curious as how often this "Emissions Light" rears its ugly head! And what issues had popped up.

Now, I just arrived back from the Ford dealer. Didn't cost me a penny. The deal is that at 51k I had an upgraded/improved fuel pump installed because the code came up and said it was bad. I told the Serviced Adviser that I was a bit miffed that she was telling me the FP was once again the problem and its only been 17k miles since that pump was installed.

She went back and checked the records. The current "Emissions" issue was apparently caused by a code being tripped, she did say "TSB" but I don't know how the car would know that. Anyway, they told me that 1) the better pump was installed back at 51k and that a code popped up now, and because I have an aftermarket intake with it's own chip, that the on board system wouldn't clear the code. So, the wrench took my aftermarket unit out of the equation somehow, things checked out OK, and he cleared the code. They said to drive it 75 > 100 miles to reset the computer stuff before bringing it back to have the NC "Safety Check." FWIW