Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Cam Question: California

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 03:33 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GCCBrian
A lot of you guys seemed concerned about my Long Tube headers and offroad x pipe. As I stated above "I don't have an issue with the smog hookup,".

The issue that I'm having is daily driving a car with an insane lope to it, which would get me pulled over and my hood popped. Regardless I know I won't pass smog, because they're not legal. However one of my buddies I met at the gym had his 07 GT with the hot rod cams, he had put everything back to stock, and smogged his car on the stock tune as well and he passed.

How did he not get a check engine light?
Do you think the lope with hot rod cams is too much, or should I go with the Comp Cams NSR Stage II which has a slight lope and the same amount of power gains?
If he put everything back to stock, and flashed the stock tune back, he wouldn't throw the CEL.
Some say the lobe is extreme, many others are in love with it. It all just depends on the type and amount of driving you do. If you sit in stop and go traffic, you may not be fond of them.

Honestly, what other mods do you have in the pipeline? Do you plan on going forced induction? Cams are something that you should do last and be used to fine tune your power band.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:05 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GCCBrian
A lot of you guys seemed concerned about my Long Tube headers and offroad x pipe. As I stated above "I don't have an issue with the smog hookup,".

The issue that I'm having is daily driving a car with an insane lope to it, which would get me pulled over and my hood popped. Regardless I know I won't pass smog, because they're not legal. However one of my buddies I met at the gym had his 07 GT with the hot rod cams, he had put everything back to stock, and smogged his car on the stock tune as well and he passed.

How did he not get a check engine light?
Do you think the lope with hot rod cams is too much, or should I go with the Comp Cams NSR Stage II which has a slight lope and the same amount of power gains?

The check engine light is easy to get rid of. It can be tuned out by a tuner or there are special connections that people use to get rid of the CEL.

The reason why a LT header alone will give you a CEL is because the location of the O2 sensor moves downstream far enough to effect how fast the sensor warms up. There is a certain amount of time given to the sensor, by the computer, to reach operating temperature. Tuners change the command time or temp the computer wants to see. When it's corrected the CEL doesn't pop back up. It's the same theory with the fuel trims. Tuners change the computers to want a different set of values.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:39 AM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Reading this thread makes me love Texas even more.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:45 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

To answer your last question from your original post, since that hasn't been covered: No, you can't get a tune for a 3v motor that will give you more or less lope. Lope is a function of event timing on the cam. Since we cannot alter the relationship between the timing of the intake and exhaust valves independently, you cannot tune lope in or out. If you want the loping idle, you'd need a cam with the right stats. Once you go that route, the only option is to increase the idle to make it seem less lopey, by increasing the frequency of events.