Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Exhaust issues with LT Headers and Midpipe HELP!

Old 07-14-2014, 01:45 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust issues with LT Headers and Midpipe HELP!

I have an '05 GT and bought it a year ago. It already came with lt headers, an o/r shorty x pipe and flowmasters (not sure about the catback but pretty much a full exhaust). Well, I am wanting to replace the o/r shorty x-pipe with a newer mid-pipe because it has developed some corrosion around it. I'm leaning toward an h-pipe.

What sucks about my situation: I can't identify ANY brand stamps or anything on the headers or midpipe so I'm kind of screwed...I already bought a pacesetter shorty h from american muscle and that didn't fit so I had to send it back.

So...should I pull the trigger and order the JBA shorty h (pretty much the only other midpipe I know could potentially fit for my model).

Btw--the current x-pipe I have measures about 24" with 2.5" diameter tubing between the headers and catback.

If it doesn't fit (like it's too long) , couldn't I just cut the midpipe itself using a bandsaw?

Advice?
Old 07-14-2014, 02:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Got pics of the components to post?
Old 07-14-2014, 03:23 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Yes, pictures would help, also what kind of connection does it have at the header collector? Slip fit? Flange? If a flange, what kind? That would definitely help narrow it down.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:15 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Shorty headers and stock exhaust manifolds should be the same length. Midpipes designed for stock manifolds and shorties should also be the same. Brand shouldn't matter. The midpipes I have used have been a slip fit type and are rather simple to put on.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:00 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
Shorty headers and stock exhaust manifolds should be the same length. Midpipes designed for stock manifolds and shorties should also be the same. Brand shouldn't matter. The midpipes I have used have been a slip fit type and are rather simple to put on.
He said he has longtubes, what are you talking about?
Old 07-17-2014, 03:42 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

Just buy a cut and clamp setup... Problem solved!

Make sure when you install the new mid pipe that you support the mid pipe before torqueing down the bolts. This will ensure that the piping is slipped in evenly and prevent leaks.

If you are that worried, take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld everything together! No leaks...

Last edited by johnny_raincloud; 07-17-2014 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Oops!
Old 07-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
He said he has longtubes, what are you talking about?
I just re-read it....I saw the O/R shorty x pipe and it threw me off. I must not have been awake. Please ignore my post above. My bad.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:51 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

*UPDATE* Unfortunately I've no pictures of the last h-pipe I had BUT I do of the current x-pipe (attached). Dimensions are: about 24" long (from header collectors to the catback) and a 2.5" diameter.

X-pipe link: http://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.ne...67034577_n.jpg

Also, last week I ordered JBA's o/r shorty h. It is coming in today! I called JBA and they said the h is 28" total in length. So...we'll see how install goes.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:30 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

No pictures of the headers?

Are they even full length headers or mid length?

I honestly have no idea whose x pipe that is. It looks like it doesn't have swaged ends, and nobody that makes headers with slip fit connectors has midpipes that don't have swaged ends where they connect to the headers.

In fact, even the midpipes for the mid length headers that I looked at didn't have swaged ends where the legs connected, and I can't find ANY midpipes that have the hangers attached where the tubes start to cross over rather than on the straight sections right behind the collectors.

You have an oddball there

Also, if that midpipe is only 24" long, the JBA H pipe probably won't fit. JBA doesn't make an H pipe for the '05-09 cars so I know you don't have their headers. It's not quite as simple as just cutting it and making it shorter.

Last edited by ghunt; 07-21-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:44 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Aha...just stumbled across that x pipe while browsing eBay! That is a Borla x pipe, so apparently your car has Borla headers (somebody dropped some coin on those!). Borla only makes an x pipe for their headers, so you're gonna have to go to a muffler shop or start fabbin'.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust issues with LT Headers and Midpipe HELP!