Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Exhaust issues with LT Headers and Midpipe HELP!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:46 AM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
Aha...just stumbled across that x pipe while browsing eBay! That is a Borla x pipe, so apparently your car has Borla headers (somebody dropped some coin on those!). Borla only makes an x pipe for their headers, so you're gonna have to go to a muffler shop or start fabbin'.
You are the MAN! Thanks so much! . I've been trying to determine the brand of my exhaust for so long that it just got to the point where I'm just like, "screw it, it is what it is."

Anyway, I just got the h-pipe yesterday &attempted to install. Actually, it wasn't that bad. It was barely too long (of course) but piping diameter was spot-on! I'm sure that a muffler shop would be able to install it just fine though (with some modification) , right?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:48 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Most midpipes for these cars are 2.5" so that shouldn't be an issue.

My question is how close was the spacing width-wise where it connects to the headers?

If it's close, a muffler shop should be able to make it work, especially since the JBA H-pipes are a 2-piece design which makes them a little easier to modify.

However, you MAY run into difficulty finding a regular muffler shop that will work on it since there are no cats on the car.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:45 AM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Most midpipes for these cars are 2.5" so that shouldn't be an issue.

My question is how close was the spacing width-wise where it connects to the headers?

If it's close, a muffler shop should be able to make it work, especially since the JBA H-pipes are a 2-piece design which makes them a little easier to modify.

However, you MAY run into difficulty finding a regular muffler shop that will work on it since there are no cats on the car.

Let us know how it goes.
I was able to fit the h-pipe on the headers just barely (where they connect)! Pictured is the H next to the X (in the link provided). As you can see, the part where the headers connect is slightly expanded (a tad more than 2.5"--not 3" or 2.75", just a little bit so they slide on --but not all the way on the header so I may need clamps or some kind of reducer or something).

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...80967813_o.jpg

Also, good news: I found a local muffler shop that WILL work on my car! (even without the cats). My friend referred them to me and I also called and asked about it so I got the okay
Old 07-22-2014, 11:55 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

The expanded end on the H pipe is 2.5" OD pipe- which means it's made to slip over regular 2.5" pipe and clamp on, that's the attachment method JBA uses.

You will definitely need clamps there, I recommend stepped strap clamps like this:
Amazon Amazon

Best way to seal it and keep it removable.

But, you'll have to wait and see what the exhaust shop wants to do, they may cut the H pipe and use your original clamps to attach it the way the Borla X-pipe is attached.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:20 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

The expanded end on the H pipe is 2.5" OD pipe- which means it's made to slip over regular 2.5" pipe and clamp on, that's the attachment method JBA uses.

You will definitely need clamps there, I recommend stepped strap clamps like this:
http://www.amazon.com/2-5-Torctite-S.../dp/B0080R6SFG

Best way to seal it and keep it removable.

But, you'll have to wait and see what the exhaust shop wants to do, they may cut the H pipe and use your original clamps to attach it the way the Borla X-pipe is attached.
Oh okay cool. Yeah I should probably just take it to the shop and see what they want to do before ordering more parts. It might make more sense for them to cut the pipe and do it that way if anything else.

I just can't wait to have it done! Plus I haven't heard an o/r h on these s197 4.6's in person (i'm pretty sure) but hopefully will sound good with my MAC axlebacks!
Old 07-22-2014, 01:22 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

BTW--those stepped strap clamps were included in the box the h pipe came in! Same brand too (torctite)! ..that might make everything easier for the shop as well. I'll just have to wait and see
Old 07-22-2014, 03:06 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Ah, I didn't even think about that- Well, there you go, whatever the muffler shop needs they will have. I'm guessing it will most likely be easiest for them to cut off the swaged ends to shorten the H-pipe, and mate it up to the headers using the clamps originally on them.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:27 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Awesome! Well, thanks for all the help and advice again. I can't wait to have this pipe put on!!! I won't be able to take it in until Saturday because of work...oh well. I'll let you know how it all goes then!
Old 07-28-2014, 12:24 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

*UPDATE* So after a nice weekend, I got the h installed!! I ended up taking it to the exhaust shop for a grand total of $75.00. Mainly because everything was customized almost. Unfortunately they had to cut the catback because one side was too long...but I'm not tripping.

All in all, I am happy with the result and the sound. Currently (and finally) my exhaust set-up is this: Borla lt headers, JBA shorty o/r H, (pretty sure stock) catback, and MAC axle-back exhaust.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:10 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Thats awesome. How about some video so we can enjoy. Thost torctite clamps are the best. I put my entire exhaust together with them with custom cut mid mounted MSRP resonators. Those clamps seal like non other.