MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L V8 Technical Discussions (http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions-69/)
-   -   Exhaust issues with LT Headers and Midpipe HELP! (http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions/711895-exhaust-issues-with-lt-headers-and-midpipe-help.html)

'stangdude 07-14-2014 01:45 PM

Exhaust issues with LT Headers and Midpipe HELP!

I have an '05 GT and bought it a year ago. It already came with lt headers, an o/r shorty x pipe and flowmasters (not sure about the catback but pretty much a full exhaust). Well, I am wanting to replace the o/r shorty x-pipe with a newer mid-pipe because it has developed some corrosion around it. I'm leaning toward an h-pipe.

What sucks about my situation: I can't identify ANY brand stamps or anything on the headers or midpipe so I'm kind of screwed...I already bought a pacesetter shorty h from american muscle and that didn't fit so I had to send it back.

So...should I pull the trigger and order the JBA shorty h (pretty much the only other midpipe I know could potentially fit for my model).

Btw--the current x-pipe I have measures about 24" with 2.5" diameter tubing between the headers and catback.

If it doesn't fit (like it's too long) , couldn't I just cut the midpipe itself using a bandsaw?

Advice?

Derf00 07-14-2014 02:18 PM

Got pics of the components to post?

ghunt 07-14-2014 03:23 PM

Yes, pictures would help, also what kind of connection does it have at the header collector? Slip fit? Flange? If a flange, what kind? That would definitely help narrow it down.

Simon1 07-17-2014 09:15 AM

Shorty headers and stock exhaust manifolds should be the same length. Midpipes designed for stock manifolds and shorties should also be the same. Brand shouldn't matter. The midpipes I have used have been a slip fit type and are rather simple to put on.

ghunt 07-17-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon1 (Post 8409554)
Shorty headers and stock exhaust manifolds should be the same length. Midpipes designed for stock manifolds and shorties should also be the same. Brand shouldn't matter. The midpipes I have used have been a slip fit type and are rather simple to put on.

He said he has longtubes, what are you talking about?

johnny_raincloud 07-17-2014 03:42 PM

Just buy a cut and clamp setup... Problem solved!

Make sure when you install the new mid pipe that you support the mid pipe before torqueing down the bolts. This will ensure that the piping is slipped in evenly and prevent leaks.

If you are that worried, take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld everything together! No leaks...

Simon1 07-17-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghunt (Post 8409599)
He said he has longtubes, what are you talking about?

I just re-read it....I saw the O/R shorty x pipe and it threw me off. I must not have been awake. Please ignore my post above. My bad.

'stangdude 07-21-2014 12:51 PM

*UPDATE* Unfortunately I've no pictures of the last h-pipe I had BUT I do of the current x-pipe (attached). Dimensions are: about 24" long (from header collectors to the catback) and a 2.5" diameter.

X-pipe link: http://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.ne...67034577_n.jpg

Also, last week I ordered JBA's o/r shorty h. It is coming in today! I called JBA and they said the h is 28" total in length. So...we'll see how install goes.

ghunt 07-21-2014 03:30 PM

No pictures of the headers?

Are they even full length headers or mid length?

I honestly have no idea whose x pipe that is. It looks like it doesn't have swaged ends, and nobody that makes headers with slip fit connectors has midpipes that don't have swaged ends where they connect to the headers.

In fact, even the midpipes for the mid length headers that I looked at didn't have swaged ends where the legs connected, and I can't find ANY midpipes that have the hangers attached where the tubes start to cross over rather than on the straight sections right behind the collectors.

You have an oddball there :icon_shrug:

Also, if that midpipe is only 24" long, the JBA H pipe probably won't fit. JBA doesn't make an H pipe for the '05-09 cars so I know you don't have their headers. It's not quite as simple as just cutting it and making it shorter.

ghunt 07-21-2014 10:44 PM

Aha...just stumbled across that x pipe while browsing eBay! That is a Borla x pipe, so apparently your car has Borla headers (somebody dropped some coin on those!). Borla only makes an x pipe for their headers, so you're gonna have to go to a muffler shop or start fabbin'.

'stangdude 07-22-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghunt (Post 8410823)
Aha...just stumbled across that x pipe while browsing eBay! That is a Borla x pipe, so apparently your car has Borla headers (somebody dropped some coin on those!). Borla only makes an x pipe for their headers, so you're gonna have to go to a muffler shop or start fabbin'.

You are the MAN! Thanks so much! :D. I've been trying to determine the brand of my exhaust for so long that it just got to the point where I'm just like, "screw it, it is what it is."

Anyway, I just got the h-pipe yesterday &attempted to install. Actually, it wasn't that bad. It was barely too long (of course) but piping diameter was spot-on! I'm sure that a muffler shop would be able to install it just fine though (with some modification) , right?

ghunt 07-22-2014 10:48 AM

Most midpipes for these cars are 2.5" so that shouldn't be an issue.

My question is how close was the spacing width-wise where it connects to the headers?

If it's close, a muffler shop should be able to make it work, especially since the JBA H-pipes are a 2-piece design which makes them a little easier to modify.

However, you MAY run into difficulty finding a regular muffler shop that will work on it since there are no cats on the car.

Let us know how it goes.

'stangdude 07-22-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghunt (Post 8410916)
Most midpipes for these cars are 2.5" so that shouldn't be an issue.

My question is how close was the spacing width-wise where it connects to the headers?

If it's close, a muffler shop should be able to make it work, especially since the JBA H-pipes are a 2-piece design which makes them a little easier to modify.

However, you MAY run into difficulty finding a regular muffler shop that will work on it since there are no cats on the car.

Let us know how it goes.

I was able to fit the h-pipe on the headers just barely (where they connect)! Pictured is the H next to the X (in the link provided). As you can see, the part where the headers connect is slightly expanded (a tad more than 2.5"--not 3" or 2.75", just a little bit so they slide on --but not all the way on the header so I may need clamps or some kind of reducer or something).

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...80967813_o.jpg

Also, good news: I found a local muffler shop that WILL work on my car! (even without the cats). My friend referred them to me and I also called and asked about it so I got the okay :icon_clapclap:

ghunt 07-22-2014 11:55 AM

The expanded end on the H pipe is 2.5" OD pipe- which means it's made to slip over regular 2.5" pipe and clamp on, that's the attachment method JBA uses.

You will definitely need clamps there, I recommend stepped strap clamps like this:

Best way to seal it and keep it removable.

But, you'll have to wait and see what the exhaust shop wants to do, they may cut the H pipe and use your original clamps to attach it the way the Borla X-pipe is attached.

'stangdude 07-22-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghunt (Post 8410942)
The expanded end on the H pipe is 2.5" OD pipe- which means it's made to slip over regular 2.5" pipe and clamp on, that's the attachment method JBA uses.

You will definitely need clamps there, I recommend stepped strap clamps like this:
http://www.amazon.com/2-5-Torctite-S.../dp/B0080R6SFG

Best way to seal it and keep it removable.

But, you'll have to wait and see what the exhaust shop wants to do, they may cut the H pipe and use your original clamps to attach it the way the Borla X-pipe is attached.

Oh okay cool. Yeah I should probably just take it to the shop and see what they want to do before ordering more parts. It might make more sense for them to cut the pipe and do it that way if anything else.

I just can't wait to have it done! Plus I haven't heard an o/r h on these s197 4.6's in person (i'm pretty sure) but hopefully will sound good with my MAC axlebacks!

'stangdude 07-22-2014 01:22 PM

BTW--those stepped strap clamps were included in the box the h pipe came in! Same brand too (torctite)! ..that might make everything easier for the shop as well. I'll just have to wait and see :D

ghunt 07-22-2014 03:06 PM

Ah, I didn't even think about that- Well, there you go, whatever the muffler shop needs they will have. I'm guessing it will most likely be easiest for them to cut off the swaged ends to shorten the H-pipe, and mate it up to the headers using the clamps originally on them.

'stangdude 07-22-2014 03:27 PM

Awesome! Well, thanks for all the help and advice again. I can't wait to have this pipe put on!!! I won't be able to take it in until Saturday because of work...oh well. I'll let you know how it all goes then!

'stangdude 07-28-2014 12:24 PM

*UPDATE* So after a nice weekend, I got the h installed!! I ended up taking it to the exhaust shop for a grand total of $75.00. Mainly because everything was customized almost. Unfortunately they had to cut the catback because one side was too long...but I'm not tripping.

All in all, I am happy with the result and the sound. Currently (and finally) my exhaust set-up is this: Borla lt headers, JBA shorty o/r H, (pretty sure stock) catback, and MAC axle-back exhaust.

808muscle 08-02-2014 10:10 PM

Thats awesome. How about some video so we can enjoy. Thost torctite clamps are the best. I put my entire exhaust together with them with custom cut mid mounted MSRP resonators. Those clamps seal like non other.