Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
mse5787
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Default Must dangerous mod to my 3v

Im about to change my spark plugs in my 06 gt with 64k on it. Ive heard the horror stories about what can go wrong. I was seeing if anyone had any tips or tricks.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
3:73 Gears, Eibach Suspension all around.
mse5787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mse5787 View Post
Im about to change my spark plugs in my 06 gt with 64k on it. Ive heard the horror stories about what can go wrong. I was seeing if anyone had any tips or tricks.
Just do a search on the forum. There are at least a couple of threads I've seen that go in detail and what special tools you might need, as well as the process. Good luck with the spark plugs!
3D Carbon Eleanor Grille, Steeda Tuned, FRPP-P Lowering springs, J&M aluminum adjustable panhard bar, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks and Struts, GT500 Strut mounts, 20" Charcoal AMR's, AirRaid CAI, Flowmaster Outlaw axle backs.
sbradle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 GT Legend Lime and 1967 CP

Lots of vids on YouTube. My advice is this. They will NOT break if you have patience and take your time. Anybody that has broken these plugs is rushing it. I soaked mine in solvent the night before and came back the next morning to take them out. I'm talking like 5-6 min on each plug back and forth loosen and tighten. Make sure your on a day off and lots of time in your hands. Good luck, threre is really nothing to worry about, it's all on you and how much patience you have!
drewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 Black GT,08 Black GT500, 09 Metallic Silver V6 (wife's car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mse5787 View Post
The MOST important thing (and I have changed 5 cars and NEVER broken one)...have the CAR AT OPERATING TEMP!!! It will soften the carbon buildup and the aluminum head has a different expansion characteristics then the steel of the plugs...soak the plugs (I use Sea Foam Deep Creep) Use a torque wrench and I DONT go over 30 lbs to try to break them loose...I get a SLIGHT turn on each one when the engine is hot (after soaking for 30 mins or so) then I GINGERLY work each plug slightly back and forth once and go to the next in sequence...you will feel them loosen up and move a bit further with each time...just TAKE YOUR TIME...You will feel it when they are ready to come out...I have usually had the Lisle tool..but never had to use it...

There is NO problem that can't be solved by the simple application of more Horsepower!!
Lifter583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
JCON
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT Convertible

I used PB Blaster and let soak for 5 minutes and we did 16 plugs back to back with not one break.

270rwhp 292rwtq - 4/21/12 - Stock 87 octane + 4.10's
283rwhp 296rwtq - 4/20/13 - Exhaust 87 octane + 4.10's
330rwhp 336rwtq - 4/19/14 - Intake, P&P TB, CMDP's, UDP's, LT's, O/R ProChamber, 4.10's + 93 tune
JCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:56 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement