Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Ugh, ANOTHER p1000 code

Old 08-03-2014, 04:16 PM
jimkr
1st Gear Member

Default Ugh, ANOTHER p1000 code

Before we all do the collective "sigh"...hold on...lol. 2010 4.6 gt. Airaid CAI, bbk long tube headers, CATTED xpipe. Kept cats for state inspection purposes. Bama tune. Needed a re-tune for obd codes "slow response on 02 sensors". After flashing the PCM no more codes, however have the p1000 code, drive cycle issue. Okay, drive the car...A LOT, figuring the code would disappear...nope, still there, 4 of the 7 monitors came back fine, but "catalyst, oxygen sensor, and oxygen sensor heat" monitors never completed. Drove MORE, still no luck. Cleared the code with my SCT, and drove again, as expected p1000 comes back. Drove for a week and a half, several hundred miles...STILL p1000. Car runs fine, NO OTHER CODES. what the heck!? Any help would be appreciated. I have plenty of time before inspection, but don't want to find out I'm SOL when the time comes...thanks!
Old 08-04-2014, 01:09 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

have you checked to see if the sensor itself is bad? --disregard, I answered before looking up the P1000

Last edited by dlazrael; 08-04-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:11 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

The P1000 DTC code is a manufacturer specific code. In the case of Ford vehicles, it simply means that the OBD-II monitor testing is not complete. It is a similar meaning for Mazda, which is OBD-II drive cycle malfunction. If an OBD-II monitor does not carry out their full diagnostic check, this DTC may be set also.

Symptoms of a P1000 DTC will include MIL (Malfunction indicator lamp) illumination and that should be it. There shouldn't be any other symptoms unless you have other DTCs.

Potential causes of a P1000 include: The battery or PCM has been disconnected (Ford,Mazda) The diagnostic trouble codes have been cleared (Ford,Mazda) An OBD monitor concern occured before completion of the drive cycle (Ford)

Although this may be considered a common Ford DTC, it's very minor. You in fact can safely ignore this code and it should go away as part of normal driving, you do not need to clear this code (as it may not actually turn off the MIL). If you want to the code to clear itself, faster, run through the Ford Drive Cycle. However, if you have other trouble codes, the MIL will stay on as there are other issues.

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p1000
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com
Old 08-04-2014, 01:11 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html
Old 08-04-2014, 07:27 AM
jimkr
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info! This code does not trigger the CEL, nor does it affect the car's performance. I've read the Ford drive cycle steps, and performed the HEGO several times, thinking that the HEGO is preventing the catalyst monitor from running, but didn't help. It just seems to be "stuck" there. Of the 7 monitors, 4 monitors run and check out fine right away, but these 3 monitors always seem to stall. I think today I'm going to give the folks at Bama/AM a call, and see if they have seen anything like this before. With this stored code, my car will not pass inspection with 3 monitors that haven't run.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:42 AM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

Jim, keep us posted on your progress. The upside is that your problem is not uncommon on our cars. I had the same issue with EVAP, O2 sensor and O2 sensor heater monitors. I drove about 900 miles, did the Ford drive cycle several times and 60 key starts before mine completed. I'm about to disconnect my battery for some maintenance and I know I'll have a repeat of this issue unless there is a better way to complete the HEGO.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:20 PM
jimkr
1st Gear Member

Okay, I made a phone call this morning, and all I can say is "duh" on my part...in short, the RACE tune is just that, a RACE tune, meant only for the track. The street tune will pass all of the monitors. I haven't flashed the ECM yet, but it DOES make perfect sense...so for anyone who has the inexplicable p1000 code, check your tune.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:25 PM
jimkr
1st Gear Member

RedFire, in your post you mentioned that all of your monitors finally ran after 900 miles?! Is that the case? Just curious to see if I should just let my tune run that long and see if it does eventually clear...
Old 08-05-2014, 01:39 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Your tune is causing your issues: your rear o2 sensors are off, hence why you have all those not reads monitors. With a proper tune, you can get all monitors ready within 2 driving cycles.
Easy....if the tune has the rear sensors on.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:11 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkr
Okay, I made a phone call this morning, and all I can say is "duh" on my part...in short, the RACE tune is just that, a RACE tune, meant only for the track. The street tune will pass all of the monitors. I haven't flashed the ECM yet, but it DOES make perfect sense...so for anyone who has the inexplicable p1000 code, check your tune.
I've been driving on my 91 street tune and have had no luck. In fact, my left bank keeps lighting up.. and my car is 3 days into inspectionless territory. Should I revert back to stock?! I know I have a small exhaust leak which I think is coming from my left side because I only smell it in the drivers seat at a stoplight, but would that reaaaally be the problem?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ugh, ANOTHER p1000 code