Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-20-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
mojopony
1st Gear Member

Question Rev's jump to 2K at startup after cleaning T/B.

My '06GT was idling rough so I removed the throttle body and cleaned it with CRC cleaner. After re-installing the T/B the idle is now smooth & steady, but every time I fire up the car the RPM's jump up to 2,000 and then it settles back down to a normal idle. The rev's have always increased a bit at startup, but never this much. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 08-21-2014, 03:53 AM   #2
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ford Mustang

Did you reset the computer when you cleaned the T/B? unhook the battery for a few minutes and turn the lights on to make sure all the power is drained from the system, then hook it back up and see what it does.
ticopowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

You should go through the idle relearning process anytime you disconnect the battery, you could even try disconnecting the battery for a bit to try this to see if it helps with your problem.

The process is in your owners manual, on page 204.

Here's a link to the owners manual from Ford, 2006 Ford Mustang Owner's Manuals
Old 08-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
mojopony
1st Gear Member

Default battery

Thanks guys. I did disconnect the battery overnight, but I didn't follow the re-learning process as specified in the manual. I'll give that a try. Thanks again!
Old 08-22-2014, 02:57 AM   #5
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 GT Legend Lime and 1967 CP

The first time I cleaned mine years ago it did this. I started the car and something wasn't right, shut it off immediately and realized I didn't plug the left (driver side) wire harness back!! It revved up just like that for 4-5 days on startup then settled back to normal.. If you disconnect the battery for a while it should solve it right away.. If not don't freak out. It will return to normal, could also be it was really dirty and the computer is adjusting to clean easy opening tb. Just a thought
drewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
mojopony
1st Gear Member

I tried disconnecting the battery again and went through the idle re-learning process per the manual. No change at start-up. I checked the TPS voltage and measured 1.24 volts on my meter. I'm guessing that's around nominal, but I'm not really sure. The culprit must be some quirky thing. I'm not gonna sweat it too much since its not a major issue.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Check for air in-leakage before going nutz.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 Ford Mustang GT
DLAzrael43 DLAzrael
Send a message via AIM to dlazrael Send a message via Yahoo to dlazrael

How exactly do ya check that?
Go Fast Parts: 2.3L W140AX FRPP Whipple 550 HO Supercharger, PCV Delete, Pypes Violators Axleback, MAC Prochamber, FRPP 62mm Polished TB
Suspension: Steeda: Front/Rear Sways, Sport Springs, Pro-Action S/S, Chromoly LCA, Chromoly UCA, GT500 Strut Mounts
Driveline:Steeda Tri-Ax, DSS 4" Aluminum DS
Show:GT500 Spoiler, GT500 Chinstrap (awaiting install), GTS-IV Hood
dlazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Ever since mine has been tuned it does this. With the first tune it was higher.

Motor Built by ST Motorsports
Tuned By Tony at Tuners Inc

11.05@129
Simon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #10
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazrael View Post
How exactly do ya check that?
Check all of the plumbing ahead of the TB. Any clamp or joint could have slipped or loosened, allowing a gap which allows unmetered air into the engine. There's also occasions where people over-tightened a clamp, deforming the connection.
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:17 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement