Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Bang for the Buck Mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 04:17 PM
MustangGTMark
1st Gear Member

Default Bang for the Buck Mods

Hi all,

Haven't had my Mustang too long and am looking to get into performance modding. Beside CAI, what are the best bang-for-the buck mods for the 4.6L GT's?

My starting point is a 2010 Premium GT w/ Track Pack.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:34 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

CAI is not a "bang for your buck" mod. In fact, your car already has a cold air intake. Put your money towards something useful.

What's your budget? Browse around the forum, this matter is heavily discussed.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:46 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Bang fir the buck. Supercharger is your best bet
Old 09-03-2014, 10:19 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Starting out w/ a stock vehicle would be either a tuner for power or axle-back for sound.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:58 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

4.10 gears, tuner, boost in general, h-pipe (these can be found fairly cheap and really open up ur volume)
Old 09-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What's your "buck" look like? FI is your best bet but you'll also need fuel and suspension upgrades to go with it. Figure over a grand, much more if you include tires and wheels. If that's too much "buck" then:

1. A good custom tune
2. Gears
3. LT headers with O/R x pipe
4. Cams (complimented by the LT's)

After those, you're pretty much down to other single digit mods and will likely have spent close to a modest FI setup.

Last edited by Nuke; 09-03-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:13 PM
bjbrowder

A set of Lower control arms with poly bushings. They are great for launching and getting rid of wheel hop.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:48 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Basic supercharger is your best bang for the buck (dollar spent vs horsepower gained). That said, I have:

WMS High Velocity Intake, Steeda Charge Motion Deletes, Mac long tube headers, Mac ProChamber, Bassani Race mufflers, Steeda under drive pulleys, 4.10:1 rear gears, and a 93 tune and only make 330 RWHP and 336 RWTQ.

I spent $2,280 (although $720 was on a tuner and a dyno tune, which would be needed for any forced induction anyways) on those parts and only gained 60 RWHP.

But I love my intake to death!

Last edited by JCON; 09-30-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:28 AM
RenGen
Banned

I can't recommend a tune with good conscious unless you can afford to buy another mustang. Most people on this forum support tunes but thats maybe a couple hundred over the thousands of people in the country who have mustangs? It makes me sad when I think of all the people I have seen in person get a bama tune and then their car doesn't start - or worse on the newer ones they get cylinder damage and need a new engine. (Though I hear they BAMA supposedly fixed this issue)

IMO a few extra theoretical horses aren't worth killing my 30 thousand dollar car, but if you can swing it then supercharger would give you the best bang for buck. Otherwise I prefer to leave things factory with a few tasteful aesthetic mods and keep it in in like new condition :P

(Just saying from experience, when I was in the military I had a 03 GT that I decked out in mods, full bolt ons, forced induction, almost everything - yeah it was fast and fun to drive, but with great mods comes great headaches.)
Old 10-01-2014, 12:45 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RenGen
I can't recommend a tune with good conscious unless you can afford to buy another mustang. Most people on this forum support tunes but thats maybe a couple hundred over the thousands of people in the country who have mustangs? It makes me sad when I think of all the people I have seen in person get a bama tune and then their car doesn't start - or worse on the newer ones they get cylinder damage and need a new engine. (Though I hear they BAMA supposedly fixed this issue)

IMO a few extra theoretical horses aren't worth killing my 30 thousand dollar car, but if you can swing it then supercharger would give you the best bang for buck. Otherwise I prefer to leave things factory with a few tasteful aesthetic mods and keep it in in like new condition :P

(Just saying from experience, when I was in the military I had a 03 GT that I decked out in mods, full bolt ons, forced induction, almost everything - yeah it was fast and fun to drive, but with great mods comes great headaches.)
WHAAAAT!???? RenGen, Zentin...what ever new name you sign up with. Do you even think before you post some of the stuff you post?

Quick Reply: Bang for the Buck Mods