Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Bang for the Buck Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 12:59 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Renjen????? What
Old 10-01-2014, 11:03 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RenGen
I can't recommend a tune with good conscious unless you can afford to buy another mustang. Most people on this forum support tunes but thats maybe a couple hundred over the thousands of people in the country who have mustangs? It makes me sad when I think of all the people I have seen in person get a bama tune and then their car doesn't start - or worse on the newer ones they get cylinder damage and need a new engine. (Though I hear they BAMA supposedly fixed this issue)

IMO a few extra theoretical horses aren't worth killing my 30 thousand dollar car, but if you can swing it then supercharger would give you the best bang for buck. Otherwise I prefer to leave things factory with a few tasteful aesthetic mods and keep it in in like new condition :P

(Just saying from experience, when I was in the military I had a 03 GT that I decked out in mods, full bolt ons, forced induction, almost everything - yeah it was fast and fun to drive, but with great mods comes great headaches.)
Banned!
Old 10-02-2014, 01:09 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
Banned!
This coming from a guy that has had 3 different power adders LOL
Old 10-02-2014, 03:06 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Well a tune is worth a lot more than "a few theoretical horses" and besides, I've heard of very, very few major issues with tunes on the 4.6L.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:42 AM
bjbrowder

Yeah intake and tuner package is a great way to start!!!
Old 10-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGTMark
Beside CAI, what are the best bang-for-the buck mods for the 4.6L GT's?

My starting point is a 2010 Premium GT w/ Track Pack.
Given that your existing intake flows far more air than the stock '05-'09 version, an aftermarket CAI with tune will only yield about 8rwhp at best.
I suggest you do charge motion delete plugs, LT headers, and supercharger but before adding a supercharger, upgrade the rear suspension and fit stickier tires.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:04 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Depending on what supercharge you go with, CMDP's may be included. Most (if not all) roots style blowers have them integrated.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
Depending on what supercharge you go with, CMDP's may be included. Most (if not all) roots style blowers have them integrated.
They aren't integrated. They are deleted with the PD blowers. I think that's what you meant anyways. The PD blowers replace the entire intake manifold with shorter runners and the blower sits on top.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:15 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Yeah so charge motion plate deletes are integrated in to the runners of the roots style ( which are only mounted to the top). I think we're on the same page. I was, at least, fairly certain that they retain the stock intake runner length. If they were entirely eliminated and not integrated, the blower runners would be shorter no?
Old 10-08-2014, 06:30 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
Yeah so charge motion plate deletes are integrated in to the runners of the roots style ( which are only mounted to the top). I think we're on the same page. I was, at least, fairly certain that they retain the stock intake runner length. If they were entirely eliminated and not integrated, the blower runners would be shorter no?
There are no delete plates with the PD blowers. The entire mechanism is completely removed and not replaced with a delete plate, but a completely knew intake manifold. So you are correct in that the charge motion control plates are gone, but there is no delete plate like you have if you kept the stock intake manifold.

I can't tell you the exact runner length, but on the KB, it seems like the runner length is half or less of what stock was.

Quick Reply: Bang for the Buck Mods