Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Need Opinions for Bad Torque Converter

Old 02-24-2012, 12:36 PM
pc_647f
1st Gear Member

Default Need Opinions for Bad Torque Converter

About a month ago the O/D light started flashing on my 07 GT. The trans wasn't acting up and seemed to be performing fine. The light continued to come on consistently, so I had it diagnosed at the local dealer. They determined the torque converter was not engaging like it should, gave P0741 code (which I was unable to pull with two different scan tools.)

Of course they recommended the entire trans be replaced, which seems ludicrous to me. So, I paid the $120 diagnostic fee and drove it home. Now I'm going to replace the torque converter myself, because I'm 99% sure there is nothing wrong with the trans itself.

Here's the problem, I can't find a readily available stock replacement torque converter in my area. I was initially looking at the TCI 3000 stall, which seems to be available just about anywhere, but after some research, I'm thinking it would not be such a good idea considering the car is pretty much stock. This car is my daily driver, so the least amount of down time, the better.

Thoughts? Where should I go from here?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:13 PM
pc_647f
1st Gear Member

After some more research into P0741, I'm leaning towards pulling the trans and having a shop look it over. I'm just not sure where to go from here. It's frustrating since I've only had the car a year, and now I'm facing the very real possibility of a trans replacement.

Car just turned 80k on the clock, btw.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:17 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

First, take a step back, and a deep breath.

Now, how many miles are on the car, and when was the last time you had the trans filter and fluid changed (if at all).
How does the car feel when driving at highways speeds, getting into overdrive, cruising along, etc. You'd feel some slipping if theres a converter issue or the trans is getting worn out, usually.
You may just need the fluid changed or checked. You could be a little low.

Usually a converter will slip or completely not engage when its bad or going bad.

Plenty of people have replaced their stock converters, and you should be able to find one. Post up a want-to-buy here and on s197forums.com.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:19 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The servos will tend to go bad before anything else (low fluid is the most common issue). Plenty of people (including me) have replaced the stock servos with TCI billet ones for better strength, mainly for higher-performance uses.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:28 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
First, take a step back, and a deep breath.

Now, how many miles are on the car, and when was the last time you had the trans filter and fluid changed (if at all).
How does the car feel when driving at highways speeds, getting into overdrive, cruising along, etc. You'd feel some slipping if theres a converter issue or the trans is getting worn out, usually.
You may just need the fluid changed or checked. You could be a little low.

Usually a converter will slip or completely not engage when its bad or going bad.

Plenty of people have replaced their stock converters, and you should be able to find one. Post up a want-to-buy here and on s197forums.com.
Yeah check the fluid first, it should be changed on an auto more frequently than a manual, and manual is like every 50,xxx miles. it may even be just a sensor, at the shop I work out two cars with similar codes came in (one ford, one chrysler) one just needed a sensor change, the other actually did have a bad trans. We didn't declare the trans was bad until after we checked the fluid and sensors and researched it a bit further as far as torque converters and other possible problems
Old 02-25-2012, 10:26 AM
pc_647f
1st Gear Member

It still drives fine. I had a 99 L that had a bad trans and slipped a lot, so I'm familiar with what that feels like, and the GT is not slipping and doesn't shift any different than before the light.

The diagnosis from Ford states "Road tested vehicle and verified o/d light flashing. Also noted: no converter lockup and slip/bump during 1-2 shift. eec tested, p0741, p0622 outputted. Performed system tests, found torque converter not engaging when commanded."

I have not noticed and still can't feel any slip on the 1-2 shift. Only thing that is different, when it shifts into top gear it doesn't have that slight drop in rpm when speed levels out, I think I read somewhere the slight drop is when the converter engages, which obviously mine is not.

I just turned 80,000. I've had it for a year and put about 12k on it. I have not changed the fluid, and I have a feeling it has never been changed. I talked to a local shop and they were slightly more optimistic, but still want to tear it down and poke around inside.

Lets say say it's more than a bad converter, and I replace just the converter on my own. Do I run a chance of ruining the new converter?

Last edited by pc_647f; 02-25-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:27 AM
JRC702
1st Gear Member

When I was wrenchin' on BMWs, we had some 3 and 5 series cars throwing that code.

The service info said to remove and inspect the converter for a deteriorated seal. if the seal was bad, replace the converter. if it wasn't, replace the trans (if I remember right).

The customers usually didn't complain about a driving concern, just the engine and gearbox light. Those trannys were only good up to about 100k, so I always questioned the logic of throwing a new converter onto a high mileage trans since at the dealer a converter costs more than 1/2 of what a trans did.

That was BMW, this is Ford. just saying it might not be just the converter.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:31 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

You also may have metal shavings in the trans, in a worst case scenario. You need to check the fluid for any kind of metallic particles. That would be a reason for a trans change. If godforbid u do have to change the trans you should change it to somethig cool like a gt500 6 speed trans but thatll cost more money
Old 02-25-2012, 11:32 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

If there is metal shavings in the trans though that could ruin the converter
Old 02-26-2012, 11:43 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Drop the pan check for shavings, burnt smell etc... Change the filter and fill it with fluid. There is a DIY on how to do it. You will need a special $5 valve to fill the pan.

These transmissions do lose fluid. They are not completely sealed. I would not be shelling out money until it was really acting up and yours does not sound like its acting up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Opinions for Bad Torque Converter