Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Need advice on spark plug removal in an 07 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Darrens07GT

Default Need advice on spark plug removal in an 07 GT

Here is what I do need advice on.

1). Should I just go ahead and replace the plugs now since the engine is still low miles? They might come out a lot easier.

2). What is the best plug to replace them with? Champion?

3). "IF" I do break any and have to use the extractor tool how do you recommend getting the small pieces out of the cyl heads? When I did the expedition I was following a youtube video where the guy just said to blow out the hole real good with a strong air hose after you extract the broken plug. But how do I know if everything comes out or not? Is there a better method?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:45 PM
Darrens07GT

Sorry I forgot to give the details of my vehicle and experience. I have a 2007 Ford Mustang GT with 35K miles. I'm also very experienced with removing broken plugs since I broke 6 out of 8 on my Fiance's 2007 Ford Expedition. I own the lisle tool (I assume it's the same tool for the 4.6 as it was for the 5.4).
Old 09-09-2014, 11:15 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

http://www.brenspeed.com/ht1.html
Old 09-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Darrens07GT
Here is what I do need advice on.

1). Should I just go ahead and replace the plugs now since the engine is still low miles? They might come out a lot easier.

2). What is the best plug to replace them with? Champion?

3). "IF" I do break any and have to use the extractor tool how do you recommend getting the small pieces out of the cyl heads? When I did the expedition I was following a youtube video where the guy just said to blow out the hole real good with a strong air hose after you extract the broken plug. But how do I know if everything comes out or not? Is there a better method?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
The BEST thing to do...follow the soaking procedures and use a torque wrench, DONT go over 30lbs to break them loose...MOST IMPORTANT IMO...have the engine at running temperature!!! This was the advice given by a mechanic friend who changes the 4.6 PITA all the time and ONLY does it on a running temp engine and has AWESOME success ... I have changed the plugs in 4 Mustangs and NEVER broken one...I used Nickel anti seize and replaced with stock plugs.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:01 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Anybody watch the video of a Ford tech that breaks up the carbon build up by doing a fuel injection service and then removing the spark plugs with a impact gun!!! All 8 come out mint and he says he hasn't broken one yet.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:02 AM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

I had success with mine by running a can of b12 chemtool thru the fuel system to help remove carbon buildup on the plugs prior to change. I also took my time and used carb cleaner after breaking loose the plugs. +10 on using OEM Motorcraft plugs..... tried E3 and HT1 plugs and both gave misfire codes. a Ford tech at a Ford stealership has all the tools and equipment to take care of these if they break (however they get broken..ie, impact etc) they also have set labor costs and time for said repairs. if you could knock out 4 or 5 of these in a few hours yet charge full price and labor youd be silly not to try the impact method. money money money
Old 09-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Darrens07GT

I'm not worried about breaking them. I have the lisle tool and I have used it before. I am worried about how to be sure all the broken porcelain pieces get out of my engine after the broken spark plug is removed.

The plugs that are in my motor now are fine and according to ford have another 65,000 miles in them. If I am going to use OEM plugs then I should just pull all these out (assuming none break), put anti-sieze on them and put them right back in.

But if there is a better plug to use then I wouldn't mind investing in them now.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:33 PM
vistabluevert

I replaced mine on my 07 GT at 35K miles. I used a toque wrench and PB blaster, and the plugs came out like butter. I replaced them with the OEM Motorcraft plugs. The engine fired up like it rolled off the factory floor. I recommend you replace them.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:59 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I replaced mine with Champion plugs. No issues. Remove them with a torque wrench, and stay under 35 ft lbs. That seems to be magic number for them not breaking. I used PB blaster as well when I removed them. Worked any noisy ones back and forth; no broken plugs when I did mine.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:35 PM
GTRaider
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz
I replaced mine with Champion plugs. No issues. Remove them with a torque wrench, and stay under 35 ft lbs. That seems to be magic number for them not breaking. I used PB blaster as well when I removed them. Worked any noisy ones back and forth; no broken plugs when I did mine.
Mine went just like jz's. I'd never put a 2 piece plug back in if I have a decent alternative. Some don't like Champions but so far, I have no complaint.

Quick Reply: Need advice on spark plug removal in an 07 GT