Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Granatelli Intake R&R and Why

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 03:18 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default Granatelli Intake R&R and Why

Wanted to change my signature to reflect change, How?

I had the Granatelli with the "chip" so you didn't need to get fancy with the tuner things. It worked well for me up to a week ago at about 69.4k miles.

The "Emissions" light came on again. It had appeared back in July when I was heading down to the dealer for the "NC Safety Check." I have the updated FP. The dealer said the light came on because the FP was an issue, again. I told them I had the updated FP. They rechecked systems. Said the Granatelli "chip" was not letting the FP error codes to reset or something like that. They did their "thing" light went away, and I passed the "Safety Check" in late July.

So, the light goes on again a week ago. I call Granatelli tell them about the dealer excursion. They said the chip could be the problem. Said they'd ship a new one. Don't have them anymore. Sent me two "chips" that "should" work. Didn't say what my reward should be besides, "if the light goes out, and it runs OK its good to go." I wanted a little more than that to tell you the truth.

As luck would have it I had talked to a fellow back in February and kept his contact information. He still had his C&L Intake and a "Diablo Sport Predator" Tuner that he had taken off his '06 when he went over to a Camaro. I reached out to him, he still had them for $200. SOLD!

Installed, test drove, works Jim Dandy. I do think that the "pull" in 5th is not as strong at 80/90+ but it pulls really strong down low, in 1st to 4th and it gets to 120 quite well.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:14 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't refer to a tuner as "fancy" and I WOULD refer to a chip as a waste of money on these engines.

The beauty of retuning is that you can have multiple tunes, depending on how you want to run the car. The tuner allows you to store the stock tune along with (typically) 3 other custom tunes so you can swap between tunes at the side of the road in a minute or 2. Your custom tunes can also be updated to support new or deleted mods.

I don't believe there are a lot of shops that support Diablo any more but you might be able to check with AM since they merged with BAMA. Bama was one of the premier Diablo tuners here before they merged.