Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Help! Installed a c&l cai and throttle body spacer now car is lean on both banks!

Old 09-18-2014, 05:30 PM
MustangmanSam

Default Help! Installed a c&l cai and throttle body spacer now car is lean on both banks!

Help! Installed a c&l cai and throttle body spacer now car is lean on both banks! Cars a 2006 mustang gt. Put these two items on and after about 20 minutes of driving great the cars check engine light comes on and runs really crappy. Really sluggish. Reset the computer and the cycle is the same. I was told these items require NO tune. Is that true and I have a problem somewhere else or is it necessary to tune the car after. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! Thxs
Old 09-18-2014, 05:44 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

No it is not true, you need a tune. I would suggest taking those item off the car or getting a tune right away
Old 09-18-2014, 06:13 PM
MustangmanSam

Originally Posted by sactown
No it is not true, you need a tune. I would suggest taking those item off the car or getting a tune right away
Thanks. Taking them off now. Do u think I could have caused any damage. Didn't drive but 30 miles or so with this setup. And to put these items back on, is there any tuner in particular I should purchase. Thanks again
Old 09-18-2014, 07:58 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

You can see I just went through a similar party with my '05 GT. I also installed a C&L intake, but I tuned mine. American Muscle shows a C&L that doesn't require a tune. They also have C&L Intake/Tuner packages. They also have "tuners" so you could get one there.

I picked up my C&L used with a Diablo Predator Tuner. I has a sleeve that goes in it to reduce inside diameter by a (to me) wee bit. The seller said with the "tune" I don't need the sleeve. With the sleeve in and the "tune" ran great. With the sleeve out without a "re-tune" ran great until it threw codes for lean running both banks in only a few miles. I put sleeve back in, very pleased with the way it runs, its very quick and sounds great.

So, we both bought the same brand of CAI, I assume they are similar. Both have tales of woe. My tale is no longer woeful, I've put a few miles on it and so far no emissions light, I'll be nervous a bit longer, but I think I'm OK. Get yourself a tune that works with your intake and I think you'll be a happy camper. Just make sure you get a tune that works with your intake, apparently "any old tune" may not work.

Does your C&L have a sleeve in it? It comes in and out and cannot be missed to be seen.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:06 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

The following message was posted in one of my "topics" by "Nuke" ....

"For whatever reason, the tune appears to have been written to support a tad less airflow which, in turn, is why you need the sleeve/baffle. The PCM's in these cars are very sensitive to air flow vs fuel management. Even some no-tune-required CAI's will throw a lean code for the same reason."
Old 09-18-2014, 10:00 PM
MustangmanSam

Thanks for your reply. I bought my intake off my buddy, no sleeve that I can see. The spacer I bought off American muscle and it said no tune required. But it's strange how they sell a cai and tuner together as a package. Hmmmm. I understand I'm give the motor more air so if the computer doesn't compensate with more fuel then we are lean! Maybe I need to just purchase the programmer.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:14 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

The throttle body spacer is not, and will never, having any sort of effect on your car. Makes a nice paperweight though. No gains with or without a tune there.

Get a tune for the intake though.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:50 AM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

Do yourself a favor and never again admit you bought a throttle body spacer. Tell everyone someone gave it to you or forced you to install it at gun point by threat of loss to life or limb.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:52 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangmanSam
Thanks. Taking them off now. Do u think I could have caused any damage. Didn't drive but 30 miles or so with this setup. And to put these items back on, is there any tuner in particular I should purchase. Thanks again
I doubt you caused any damage, general when the 3v's pop, they POP. I have an SCT XCal 3, and Shane at AED tunes my car. He is IMO an excellent tuner and he does remote tunning also.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:13 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Please never again speak of buying a throttle body spacer. They are about as useless as a CAI for daily driving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! Installed a c&l cai and throttle body spacer now car is lean on both banks!