Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

75k miles, no major services yet. Should I get some done?

Old 09-23-2014, 04:53 PM
DirtFarmer

Default 75k miles, no major services yet. Should I get some done?

Hey guys, got a friendly reminder from the local auto shop. It appears I'm up for a service, the 76k service I think. So I called them to get a quote, I also let them know that as far as I know the car has never had a major service, only oil changes, brakes and tires. I bought it with 34k miles.

He did some research and came back with his recommendation.
-spark plug replacement
-fuel injector replacement/service
-transmission service
-coolant service/replacement
-fuel filter
-oil/filter change
-brake fluid service

All for just under 900$.

I just want some feedback as to what he's offering compared to what I really need. Have you guys done the services? did it feel needed? I'm sure it does, just curious what you guys have done.

It is a daily driver, although I drive it fairly easy. no racing or anything.

Should I fork out the dough?
Old 09-23-2014, 07:49 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Get ahold of the owner's manual... and check across that at what Ford recommends. Also, if you can do any of the work yourself, I would.. However incl parts & labor I think its an OK price... depending on what "transmission service" means...
Old 09-23-2014, 08:12 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Is there a reason why you don't want to follow Ford's recommendation and are considering throwing money at some aftermarket shop that makes up their own service intervals?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:54 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
Is there a reason why you don't want to follow Ford's recommendation and are considering throwing money at some aftermarket shop that makes up their own service intervals?
I was thinking the same thing. I work for a shop that does the same thing. They bypass every manufacturers interval and come up with their own...Oddly enough, the shop's interval has a customer there more often, getting work done that doesn't appear on the manufacturer's maintenance list....Hmmm
Old 10-01-2014, 04:24 PM
DirtFarmer

Are you guys saying I should go back and have every factory service done? The car has never had any service done outside of oil changes, tires and brakes. I went to a shop that I trust, been going there for almost 15 years thru multiple cars.

I asked them what they recommend I do since I've neglected the car for so long? It's what they came up with. Based on the factory reccomendations.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:44 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Why are you anti- Ford recommended service? They built the car. They know what it needs to have the longest life. This isn't rocket science.

Open your owners manual. Follow recommended service. Enjoy. If you skipped something - well some magic fairy didn't come and do it for you so it still needs to be addressed.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:24 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DirtFarmer
I asked them what they recommend I do since I've neglected the car for so long? It's what they came up with. Based on the factory reccomendations.
you know how they came up with it? they pulled whatever they could out of their asses that would make them the most money.

The service intervals are in your owner's manual. Open the damn thing and read it. Don't take advice from a third-party shop which is falling over themselves to get at your money.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:55 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

We have several work pickups with 3-400,000 miles on them and we've never really done any of this stuff. Most guys on this site have probably changed their spark plugs by 75k, and the fuel filter too. But I probably bother with any of the other things unless you are addressing a specific problem. Maybe runs a tank or two of injector/fuel system cleaner.
I've never really heard of anyone replacing injectors that aren't faulty, or servicing brake fluid. I would only flush the coolant and Trans if the car is having issues.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:32 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Brake fluid is a good idea, it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and reduces its boiling point, and therefor performance potential. If you haven't had the fuel filter changed, it's as good a time as any. Other than that, if you're due an oil change do that too. The rest is bull.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:30 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Agreed with all of the above. Follow the manual, simple as that. You may "trust" this shop, but at the end of the day they are in business to make money and in this case it's your money they are looking to make by suggesting things that Ford does not suggest.

I have never replaced or heard of replacing fuel injectors unless it's needed. That one thing alone remove any trust I would have in this place. They are suggesting something you do not need.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 75k miles, no major services yet. Should I get some done?