Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

75k miles, no major services yet. Should I get some done?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 03:29 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

The fluid exchanges couldn't hurt, the spark plugs should be changed as well as fuel filter, the injectors should be good, but you can run a bottle of seafoam through the tank.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:51 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

From what I've heard and done - Fuel filter every 30-50K, Coolant/Brake fluid/power steering every 100K. Spark plugs every 60-100K as preventative. Fuel injectors...I don't know how you would even service them. I wouldn't replace them unless they either fail or you want to upgrade them.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:42 PM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

If you are at all handy you can do most of this stuff yourself and save $$ - browse forums for how to's. The Ford owners manual has the required service intervals for 'normal' and 'severe' duty and are designed to make the vehicle last until the day after the warranty expires (I jest). So more frequent intervals won't hurt depending on the conditions you experience however some will scold you for spending more than you need to on maintenance. Your choice not theirs. If you DIY, you save the labour cost which can be significant. I do things like bleeding and flushing the brake lines myself to clean out the fluid which absorbs moisture (I think it is called hydroscopic). I do it myself every 2 years to help prevent the moisture from causing corrosion inside the brake lines and cylinders. Maybe too often and not 'recommended' to be done that often but I feel better doing it and it only costs a couple of bucks for the fluid. Way too expensive to get a shop to do it though. I changed the fuel filter at 36,000 miles and it was really filthy, so I'll do it more often and it was easy to change. I don't know how a 'one size fits all' schedule covers all situations when it comes to some intervals. I prefer to 'drain and refill' the transmission rather than having a shop do a flush - my choice. Our Lincoln MKX manual says to do a Drain & Fill 3 times (drain, fill, run a bit, repeat) however our transmissions don't allow easy refilling (due to no dipstick) - so I added one. Now I drain and fill the Tx once every 3rd engine oil change. Probably too much - but easy and relatively cheap and I keep and eye on oil color. I also only drive about 6,000 miles each summer then put it away so I change the oil & filter each fall. Probably too often, but I don't like leaving 'old' oil in the engine over the winter just to squeeze another 2000 miles out of the oil to follow the recommended change interval.
I changed the plugs at 35,000 miles because of the "broken spark plug issue" that the 05-07's have. No breakage at this lower mileage - but wait till the recommended interval and I risked an expensive/broken plug change. I didn't change any injectors or COP's but I do run a bit of injector cleaner in a tank once in a while. I find the dealerships will also try to upsell service intervals because they get to charge (a lot) for them and it is a money maker.
In summary - If I paid someone else to do the maintenance, I'd follow the manual but because I like to do it myself, I do it more often and as it fits my driving situation. I also believe that it is cheaper to change fluids than to change parts. So I think that more often is better than leaving it too long.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:08 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

-spark plug replacement Worth doing if you haven't done it yet. And if they're the stock plugs, better to have the shop do it if you're not plug-removal-savvy due to the possibility of the problems with the 2 piece plugs
-fuel injector replacement/service Shame on anyone that hasn't been adding fuel system cleaner at every oil change or 10k miles since day one. If not, then go ahead and bite that bullet.
-transmission service If you don't tow or race, then 75k miles is too early for a tranny fluid change. And if you're doing it because there's a problem with the tranny, then a fluid change is just a bandaid. Often, an improper tranny fluid change can cause more problems.
-coolant service/replacement Another easy-enough DIY but that's your call. 75k miles is a tad early IMO
-fuel filter These S197's have a nasty habit of fouling the fuel filter after as little as 25k miles. Another DIY but requires getting under the car and removing a plastic "pan".
-oil/filter change Another shame on you for this easy DIY maintenance.
-brake fluid service Again, unless you tow or race, no way this is needed at 75k miles.

Many shops want your $$ for unnecessary work. But it's your money. Besides, the shop owner and his employees need $$ to buy their xmas gifts.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:58 PM
cleangraystang
1st Gear Member

Don,t fix if its not broken... Spark plugs wires yes but its not running bad if there are no problems why go looking for one.....
Old 12-20-2014, 10:53 AM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cleangraystang
Don,t fix if its not broken... Spark plugs wires yes but its not running bad if there are no problems why go looking for one.....
I agree. I had a 2002 MB with a 3.2. Did plugs at 110000 just because I thought I should. Be hard pressed to tell old plugs from new if not for discoloration of the insulator. Made zero difference in how it ran. Wires are are different story. With high voltage they tend to break down over time I think.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:21 PM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

TheOP has a 2005 GT - no spark plug wires - just coil of plugs and this has the dreaded 2 piece spark plug with their associated breakage problems. Lot of preventative maintenance items to do to keep fluids clean and free of contaminants.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:21 AM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrianK
TheOP has a 2005 GT - no spark plug wires - just coil of plugs and this has the dreaded 2 piece spark plug with their associated breakage problems. Lot of preventative maintenance items to do to keep fluids clean and free of contaminants.
Ah. Wasn't aware of that. Did some side research on broken spark plugs in those motors. Pretty ugly. It looks like there are at least a couple of tools to help removing the sleeve that breaks off.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:42 AM
burttrans
1st Gear Member

Nuke I have a question? -fuel injector replacement/service Shame on anyone that hasn't been adding fuel system cleaner at every oil change or 10k miles since day one. If not, then go ahead and bite that bullet.

Hey Nuke what product you using for this? I don't do this unless I use Seafoam occasionally what are you using?

Last edited by burttrans; 12-29-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:55 AM
burttrans
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
The fluid exchanges couldn't hurt, the spark plugs should be changed as well as fuel filter, the injectors should be good, but you can run a bottle of seafoam through the tank.
Do you like Seafoam for your Mustang? I really like the product but generally use in small engines. Riding mowers, log splipper, blowers, weed eaters etc I have had really good luck with Seafoam in these engines.

Quick Reply: 75k miles, no major services yet. Should I get some done?