Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch

Old 12-13-2014, 10:26 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Default Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch

Thought I would write a little review of the Exedy Clutch I just had installed in my car. Clutch went in my 2005 GT with Roush TVS, VMP tune, three inch pulley, MGW, and 4.10s.

I didn't realize how badly I needed a clutch until now. I had major slippage in 3rd and 4th gears. I get the feeling that it's been slipping since I supercharged.

Bought the clutch, slave cylinder, and braided stainless line from American Muscle. Total with my forum discount was just over $600. I didn't really shop around all that much, but I'm happy with the price and shipping.

I let my local shop handle the install. They quoted me $410 plus $65 to machine the flywheel. I decided for that price I wasn't doing it.

Break in period was 750 miles according to the manufacturers instructions. I was real easy on it for about two hundred, then started using it more aggressively every hundred miles or so.

Clutch pedal is only slightly firmer. I would guess that part of this may be from the braided stainless line too. It is noticeable though. Certainly not unbearable.

The clutch itself is fantastic. It grabs in all gears. I haven't felt it slip really at all under normal, spirited driving conditions. The car is transferring power to the rear wheels so much more efficiently not, feels like I added fifty horsepower.

Definitely a must have mod if you are forced induction, but not cheap at over a thousand bucks!
Old 12-13-2014, 01:24 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

How grabby is it? as in with the stage 1 clutch I got a few years ago would stall the engine if there was anything less than 1k rpm's, granted it wasn't FI, just a stock 4.6.
I ask for when I need to replace the clutch in my 14 GT I don't want an On/Off clutch if I can avoid it.
Great review BTW.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:25 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Interesting question. Something I should have included in my review. It's pretty stiff, as in, seems almost like all or nothing to me. If my foot slips a little, the car bucks like no tomorrow. Doesn't seem to me that you could ride this one and ease it in.

Hope that answered your question.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:39 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

That is exactly what I wanted to know, As expected with higher "stages" of clutches the smaller the engagement zone is... it's either pulling hard or it isn't!
Thanks!
Old 12-16-2014, 01:36 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

All performance clutches should buck a little with little gas given. Does it chatter at all? My aftermarket clutch chatters a tad when pulling into driveways or low speeds with little gas.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:00 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

There was a little chatter for about the first 50 miles or so. But that is completely gone now.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
All performance clutches should buck a little with little gas given. Does it chatter at all? My aftermarket clutch chatters a tad when pulling into driveways or low speeds with little gas.
The Mcleod RST doesn't...probably because its a twin disc.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:19 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
The Mcleod RST doesn't...probably because its a twin disc.
True. I have an ACT stage 2 in mine. The pedal is super firm which I kinda like, and it grabs like no other. It's rated for 580 (or maybe 680) foot lb of torque which is a tad much for my non FI 4.6. I'm happy with the clutch, the reputable performance shop recommended it as they use them in all their cars they install clutches on
Old 12-17-2014, 01:02 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I did look at some twin disc clutches. But wasn't sure how firm the pedal might get. The Exedy also got great reviews. And the price was good too.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:38 PM
roegs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CPTCO
I did look at some twin disc clutches. But wasn't sure how firm the pedal might get.
I've been looking at clutches and from what I've read, twin disk clutches have a lighter pedal. Is that not true? My left knee is not the best, so a replacement clutch for me needs to be equal or lighter pedal than the stock assembly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch