Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

A Couple of Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Paratrooper34

Default A Couple of Newbie Questions

Hi All,

I just purchased a new to me 2005 GT Convertible (automatic). I am going to start making some modifications to the car. I read around this site some and want to start first with a CAI, Tuner, and some new mufflers. One of my concerns is with the type of filter used for the CAIs. It is my understanding that these types of air filters are more porous than factory setups and will allow some permeation of dust into the intake system potentially causing damage. Is this so or is it an "urban legend"? What are the best ones that retain quality filtration?

Second, my car is higher in the back than it is in the front; it doesn't sit level. I looked at many pics of the same year and see that some sit like mine and some sit "level". Have the ones that sit level had some kind of modification to make them sit level? If so, what was done? I would like mine to sit level because I really don't care for the raked look. Any suggestions or ideas would be great.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:34 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I'm not 100% sure on the answer to your first question, but given the number of people running CAIs with tunes on the site and the lack of issues, I'm going to go with "urban legend". Don't get a CAI that says no tune is required, it won't do you any good. Any CAI from the major manufacturers and an accompanying tune will be a good place to start.

For your second question, you can purchase lowering springs that will even out your stance. I'm not sure of the exact brands to look for, but at least now you know where to start looking.

Hope this helps, and welcome!
Old 12-18-2014, 07:31 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Many years ago, CAI's and a lot of other aftermarket air filters claiming performance gains were thought to be less capable of properly filtering. I believe that today's aftermarket CAI's filter nearly if not as well as OE filters.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:10 PM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
I'm not 100% sure on the answer to your first question, but given the number of people running CAIs with tunes on the site and the lack of issues, I'm going to go with "urban legend". Don't get a CAI that says no tune is required, it won't do you any good. Any CAI from the major manufacturers and an accompanying tune will be a good place to start.

For your second question, you can purchase lowering springs that will even out your stance. I'm not sure of the exact brands to look for, but at least now you know where to start looking.

Hope this helps, and welcome!
yes lowering springs. Very few spring are built for the convertible. Most are coupe and convertible which makes no sense as the vert weighs more. Springs made for a coupe on a vert wouldn't quite be right.

Ford Racing has a set that has been discontinued and no longer available. Steeda makes a set specific for a vert so check them out.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:30 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

A cai and tune will transform that slushy auto trans into a firm shifting tire chirping machine. Just get a name brand cai kit and your fine. AM has plenty to choose from. Get the sctx4 for the tuner. Diablo is very limited and not as good a choice. Any convertible springs will cure your rake issue.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:50 PM
Paratrooper34

Some great answers everyone, much appreciated. I am thinking of getting this kit with the link below including mufflers, CAI, and a ProCal tuner. Anyone have experience with this one? Pros/Cons?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/fordra...ck-0509gt.html

I am going to search around and see what I can find for a rear set of springs. Thanks for the input there as well.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:11 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Paratrooper34
Some great answers everyone, much appreciated. I am thinking of getting this kit with the link below including mufflers, CAI, and a ProCal tuner. Anyone have experience with this one? Pros/Cons?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/fordra...ck-0509gt.html

I am going to search around and see what I can find for a rear set of springs. Thanks for the input there as well.
The Ford intake/tune looks darn good but won't net you as much power as other intakes.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:23 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

You don't need a CAI. Most aftermarket CAIs are not actually "cold" and pull in air from the engine compartment. The gains you see are from the tune.

The situation that would justify a CAI is if you need every last available bit of air at high RPMs. Otherwise your stock intake works just the same. Even if you get an aftermarket CAI, you'll still have the same size throttle body.

Don't fall for the hype. CAIs are carry overs from a bygone error before engines became the advanced, clean burning, computer controlled wonders they are now.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:54 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
You don't need a CAI. Most aftermarket CAIs are not actually "cold" and pull in air from the engine compartment.
This statement only applies while the car is not in motion, otherwise the air flowing through the engine compartment is moving and the intake is not pulling in hot air off the engine. The "cold" part is a misnomer, true, because it won't be any colder than ambient.

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
The gains you see are from the tune.
Also true, however, the intake in combination with the tune works better than each part individually, so there is some justification for purchasing the intake.

Good chance I'm wrong though.

Last edited by CMcNam; 12-19-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:44 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Actually, the CAI & Tuner makes a BIG difference on a 3V GT. I owned an 06 GT a couple years ago and did most of the common mods. I used this CAI & Tuner package and it made a very noticeable seat of the pants improvement. (and the filter works well):

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...sct-tuner.html

Quick Reply: A Couple of Newbie Questions