Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Changing out plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:39 AM
Jessesdavis1982

Default Changing out plugs?

2005 4.6l, cammed, longtubbed headers, intake, tuned for 93 octane

I've been researching on pulling the plugs and the breakage possibility. My question is, everyone is talking about Champion plugs part#7989 but I'm assuming these are guys with not much engine modifications. Someone recommended Autolites. What type plugs should I use on my car? I've heard of using colder plugs but am I don't really know what that means. I've changed plugs before but not with this ford breakage issue.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2015, 11:06 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jessesdavis1982

I've been researching on pulling the plugs and the breakage possibility. My question is, everyone is talking about Champion plugs part#7989 but I'm assuming these are guys with not much engine modifications. Someone recommended Autolites. What type plugs should I use on my car? I've heard of using colder plugs but am I don't really know what that means. I've changed plugs before but not with this ford breakage issue.

Thanks
I think the Autolite HT1 plugs are still 2-piece and just as likely to break as the factory plugs. The Champions have a 1-piece body.

as for heat range, if you're not having problems with pre-ignition, don't worry about changing it.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:10 AM
Jessesdavis1982

Originally Posted by jz78817
I think the Autolite HT1 plugs are still 2-piece and just as likely to break as the factory plugs. The Champions have a 1-piece body.

as for heat range, if you're not having problems with pre-ignition, don't worry about changing it.
Thanks brother. I watched a few videos and it says when the plugs are out to turn the engine over for a few seconds to clear all the Seafoam out. Is this safe for the engine? I don't own a compressor.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:17 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I'm looking at doing plugs this winter since I have some CMDP's to put in also. Not particularly looking forward to it. What's the mileage on your car? I have almost 80K, hoping it won't be too bad.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:58 AM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

this isn't a bad job at all if you take your time. run a can of B12 chemtool thru your gas to help dissolve carbon deposits. the most nerve wracking part is breaking loose that first plug. let the seafoam or carb cleaner set and do its job then proceed. I would highly recommend using new motorcraft sp-114 plugs. use the nickel anti-seize on the snouts and they should come out just fine in another 50,000 miles. I got misfire issues with autolite HT1 and E3 plugs both. just in case, I would have the lisle 65600 tool handy as well. good luck
Old 01-24-2015, 12:24 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I've run l00K miles with the Champion one piece plugs (on the second set now). I haven't had any problems, car runs great. no major mods except for a CAI and tuned for 93 octane. On the second set, I did have one misfire, but the seller replaced it N/C. That's 100K miles, 16 plugs and one misfire. The biggest factor, NO BREAKAGE ON REMOVAL.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:46 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Thanks brother. I watched a few videos and it says when the plugs are out to turn the engine over for a few seconds to clear all the Seafoam out. Is this safe for the engine? I don't own a compressor.
seafoam is useless, don't bother with it.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:27 PM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

I used PB Blaster around the plugs (on a cold engine) - but any carbon dissolver should work. Also - get a torque wrench for removal and don't go over recommended setting - I forget what that setting is so look for it on the forums - something like 25 ft lbs. Break them loose about 1/8 turn, pour the carbon dissolver around the plugs and let it sit as long as you can - the longer the better to allow it to seep down around the plugs and dissolve the carbon. Then using the torque wrench turn them in and out (you know loosen a bit, tighten a bit, loosen a bit more etc.). I did mine at 40K miles and none broke. Replaced with Champions (no engine mods though) and have had no issues. After the plugs were out I cranked the engine over a bit to blow out any liquid that might be in the cylinders. I put a towel over the plug holes to catch any liquid that shot out.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:13 AM
Otter

Thanks
If you run into problems with a plug breaking, I have Lisle 65600 tool and I'll ship it to you for $40. Sold my stang last spring, no need for it now.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:26 AM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

You can used whatever plug you want but the Champions are 1 piece and will not break on future removal. I think others make a 1 piece plug too - I don't know which ones they are. The TSB says to put some high temperature Never-Seize around the part between the threads and the tip but not on the tip. This allows easier future removal in the event you want to use the 2 piece plugs. Many have used the 2 piece plug with never seize and have no problems either. I chose the Champions because they were 1 piece and no problems at all since installation and they were all gapped correctly out of the box - but I did put on some never seize on them so they won't get jammed in.
Good luck with the change.

Quick Reply: Changing out plugs?