Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2006 GT S197 Rattle/Clicking when clutch disengaged

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 11:38 AM
ifly53e

Default 2006 GT S197 Rattle/Clicking when clutch disengaged

Hello, I have a 2006 Mustang GT Manual Transmission. Everything is stock. 73500 miles. Original Owner.

I have no problems shifting into any gear. After accelerating normally in first gear, when I push in the clutch for the shift to second (2000 rpm or higher), a loud rattling sound happens for about one second (until the rpms come down). The sound is kind of similar to the "wheel of fortune" noise when you spin the wheel, but deeper. If I keep the clutch in, the rattling stops, and then I can let the clutch out and accelerate normally in second gear. If I let the clutch out while the rattling is happening, I can accelerate but the loud rattling/clicking continues even louder and faster. At this point, I can press the clutch in, wait for the loud rattling to stop, then let the clutch out and accelerate normally. This mostly happens on the transition from first to second and from second to third. It has not happened in the higher gears. I seem to have full power when I accelerate in any gear as long as there is no rattling. It usually only happens during cold days or in the morning but it is starting to happen more often than that. After I have driven for 10 minutes, the rattling will not occur when I push in the clutch and it is harder to recreate the rattling. Also, it seems to happen more in a turn than when going in a straight line. For example, when I start off in first gear and make a turn, half way through the turn I push in the clutch for the shift, the loud rattling starts. Lately, I have been keeping the car in first gear through the entire turn, and then shift to second after the turn is complete, and the rattling is kept to a minimum. Or, if I am coming off of the freeway after I downshift to third, and as I am going around the cloverleaf with the clutch engaged, while throttle steering the rattling will occur as I let off the gas.

Anyone know what is wrong?

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:55 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

It's tough honestly.. Is it slipping at all?? Try taking off slowly in 2nd and 3rd gear and see if the rpms rise without the car moving as much as the rpms are. If it shakes and or bogs down the clutch is strong. At your mileage it's almost time for a new one if it's been driven like it should haha. It's hard to say exactly what your problem is but it seems like throwout bearing/ slave cylinder. If it's slipping you may have glazed the flywheel?
Old 01-29-2015, 01:20 AM
ifly53e

Originally Posted by drewsky
It's tough honestly.. Is it slipping at all?? Try taking off slowly in 2nd and 3rd gear and see if the rpms rise without the car moving as much as the rpms are. If it shakes and or bogs down the clutch is strong. At your mileage it's almost time for a new one if it's been driven like it should haha. It's hard to say exactly what your problem is but it seems like throwout bearing/ slave cylinder. If it's slipping you may have glazed the flywheel?
Thanks for your reply. The clutch is strong. It's just weird that "the temperature" (usually in the mornings) and centrifugal force has something to do with it because of the whole turning thing. It is frustrating because if I take it into a shop without knowing where to focus, the shop could start suggesting repairs that I may not need. If it is the throwout bearing or slave cylinder should I just do the clutch as well?
Old 01-29-2015, 01:19 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

possibly the synchros are going out? or are just slow when fluid is cold.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:42 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

if you do replace the throwout bearing/ slave cylinder... YES replace the clutch and flywheel (or resurface) while its apart. its almost time mileage wise anyways. hopefully you get it diagnosed the synchros is a good possibility also..
Old 03-02-2015, 08:51 PM
ifly53e

Default [SOLVED]

I took the car in for a new clutch and expecting to need a new flywheel...turns out it was not the clutch or flywheel. The problem was that the engine oil was low. Too low...caused the timing chain tension to become weak and the timing chains caused the rattling. I got lucky I did not do more damage and I feel pretty stupid so maybe others can learn from my maintenance failure.

Engine oil light NEVER came on. Engine oil pressure was in normal range on dash. Revving the engine while standing still never caused the rattling. No oil leaks anywhere. It only happened when I was pushing the clutch in after accelerating (releasing the load from the engine) so I would have bet a year's worth of pay that it was the transmission. You should have heard the sarcasm in my voice when the mechanic called and tried to tell me it was the engine oil.

Changed the oil and filter and its like I have a new car...amazing.