Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Issues putting on mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 10:29 AM
James07GT

Default Issues putting on mufflers

Can someone tell me why im having issues tightening the 13mm bolts to the hanger. Im new to this. I thought it was the bolts so I bought new ones but that didnt work. Im using a 13mm rachet wrench to tighten them.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:29 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by James07GT
Can someone tell me why im having issues tightening the 13mm bolts to the hanger. Im new to this. I thought it was the bolts so I bought new ones but that didnt work. Im using a 13mm rachet wrench to tighten them.
might help if you told us what mufflers you're putting on and what issues you're having.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:26 PM
James07GT

pretty sure the muffler has nothing to do with it but im guessing its the flowmasters 40 series. The problem is Ive lost two hangers and 2 13mm bolts because they fell off while I was driving. Its because I cant tighten them with the rachet wrench I have. When I go over a bump they will fall off.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:55 AM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Take a tip from a former Harley rider. Put no bolt or nut on without blue loctite. Having said that you need to be able to tighten it to begin with.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:19 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

Does this illustrate the bolts you are having trouble with?

Name:  IMG_1043Medium_zps19fc0553.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  142.7 KB

Have you tried tightening the bolts without the hangers in place, does this work? If not it sounds like the nuts inside the frame rails have been stripped. Stripping all four nuts is odd but I guess if an impact gun was used by someone not very careful, that could do it.

Hopefully others will have some ideas here, but you may need to drill and tap the "blind" nuts for larger diameter bolts.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:58 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Either the nuts in the frame are stripped, or you just aren't getting the bolts tight (your responses have been so vague I'm not sure).

I personally have found those bolts easiest to remove and install with a flex head ratcheting wrench. They're just too hard to get at with a regular ratchet.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:17 PM
James07GT

Originally Posted by bstang14
Take a tip from a former Harley rider. Put no bolt or nut on without blue loctite. Having said that you need to be able to tighten it to begin with.
I think thats exactly what I need cause some of the bolts do vibrate when just standing still and when i go over bump can hear them sounds like they are loose.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:26 PM
James07GT

Originally Posted by Scott2
Does this illustrate the bolts you are having trouble with?

Have you tried tightening the bolts without the hangers in place, does this work? If not it sounds like the nuts inside the frame rails have been stripped. Stripping all four nuts is odd but I guess if an impact gun was used by someone not very careful, that could do it.

Hopefully others will have some ideas here, but you may need to drill and tap the "blind" nuts for larger diameter bolts.
yes that pic is perfect. I was afraid that might be the case as ive had my mufflers put on by a shop. I have noticed two things though, one my hangers are worn out lol yours look new. Is there any difference between the steel ones and rubber ones. Second what bolts are you using they look different/better than the ones i'm using. If i can id like to avoid drilling. I havent tried putting them on without hanger.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:39 PM
James07GT

Originally Posted by ghunt
Either the nuts in the frame are stripped, or you just aren't getting the bolts tight (your responses have been so vague I'm not sure).

I personally have found those bolts easiest to remove and install with a flex head ratcheting wrench. They're just too hard to get at with a regular ratchet.
what flex head ratcheting wrench do you recommend? Lets say the nuts in the frame are stripped is there an easy fix?
Old 02-02-2015, 07:03 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

um, I did an axle-back on my 2010 (which is pretty much the same as the '05-09) and I didn't have the problems you're having. stop using box wrenches or ratchet wrenches and buy/borrow a real ratchet and set of sockets and extensions.

if the weld nuts were broken you wouldn't even be able to thread the bolts in.

Quick Reply: Issues putting on mufflers