Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Issues putting on mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 10:09 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

are you using the original bolts or the ones that came with the exhaust?
Old 02-02-2015, 11:53 PM
James07GT

Originally Posted by bl817
are you using the original bolts or the ones that came with the exhaust?
these are ones im using

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Frame-Bolt-Kit
Old 02-03-2015, 05:15 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by James07GT
yes that pic is perfect. I was afraid that might be the case as ive had my mufflers put on by a shop. I have noticed two things though, one my hangers are worn out lol yours look new. Is there any difference between the steel ones and rubber ones. Second what bolts are you using they look different/better than the ones i'm using. If i can id like to avoid drilling. I havent tried putting them on without hanger.
The hangers I have are Stainless Steel by SR Performance (American Muscle).

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...s-hangers.html

I believe the Stainless Steel replacement hangers are cheaper than the OEM Ford hangers. Pretty sure the bolts came with the hangers, but I would have used stainless steel ones if the ones with the hangers where not stainless steel.

I would try putting the bolts on with out the hangers to see if they tighten down. If they do perhaps you just need longer bolts. If not unfortunately pretty sure the nuts are stripped in the frame rail.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:12 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
um, I did an axle-back on my 2010 (which is pretty much the same as the '05-09) and I didn't have the problems you're having. stop using box wrenches or ratchet wrenches and buy/borrow a real ratchet and set of sockets and extensions.

if the weld nuts were broken you wouldn't even be able to thread the bolts in.
Getting at those bolts (especially the ones on the bottom of the frame rail, right above the muffler) with a ratchet is a pain in the dick. I've done that job with ratcheting wrenches the last couple times and it involves a lot less cussing.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:26 PM
James07GT

Originally Posted by Scott2
The hangers I have are Stainless Steel by SR Performance (American Muscle).

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...s-hangers.html

I believe the Stainless Steel replacement hangers are cheaper than the OEM Ford hangers. Pretty sure the bolts came with the hangers, but I would have used stainless steel ones if the ones with the hangers where not stainless steel.

I would try putting the bolts on with out the hangers to see if they tighten down. If they do perhaps you just need longer bolts. If not unfortunately pretty sure the nuts are stripped in the frame rail.
i tried putting the bolts in without the hangers and all they did was keep turning wouldn't tighten. So I guess that means they are stripped in the frame rail. I bought some blue loctite and im going to see if this works hopefully it will.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:06 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't think that all the new bolts wont tighten in their respective places unless they are the wrong size bolts. I don't think all the captured nuts are stripped either. if the prior ones fell out then they may have vibrated enough to basically saw off all the threads and now you have a bigger problem as your best bet is to weld the hangers in place. take one bolt to HD or wherever and get the next size up and try that. good luck

Last edited by bl817; 02-05-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:14 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Going a size up won't help unless he drills it out and runs a tap in there.

BTW, James did you try running an M8-1.25 tap into those holes? How do the threads on the bolts look?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:22 AM
James07GT

Originally Posted by ghunt
Going a size up won't help unless he drills it out and runs a tap in there.

BTW, James did you try running an M8-1.25 tap into those holes? How do the threads on the bolts look?
No I dont have one. All I have is few tools. Im installing my mufflers without a lift a jack stand or jacks. Do you have link to where I can buy a M8-1.25. The threads are good cause I just bought new bolts.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:41 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

No offense but I'm starting to think maybe you should just take your car to a muffler shop and see if they can straighten this out.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:24 PM
James07GT

I used blue loctite and the bolts are staying in. Tested it on some bumps and didn't hear anything.

Quick Reply: Issues putting on mufflers