Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Cam chains fix ticking noise-kind of-

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 03:27 PM
Alan Coppage

Default Cam chains fix ticking noise-kind of-

My 2005 GT with 145K started ticking recently and it sounded just like lifters (lash adjusters now). Stethoscoped all over and sounded like most of the noise was coming from the drivers side timing cover. Pulled valve covers and all rockers looked fine with no unusual looseness. Pulled the timing cover and voila' timing chains loose as can be. Could even see where the cam chains were rubbing on the inside of the cover. Replaced chains,phasers,guides and tensioners and buttoned her back up. Started her up and I'm slapped with the exact same ticking sound. WTF?? Had all of the coils out while doing the chains but I did not pull the spark plugs so I did not find the two loose spark plugs that were causing the sound all along. With all the issues with spark plugs on these modulars I did not want to mess with mine unless necessary. When I put the socket on #5 and 6 plugs and found them loose the light went on in my head. Sure enough, put 8 new platinum plugs in to the tune of $11 a piece OUCH, and she is quiet as can be. No doubt the cam chains and guides needed to be replaced but can't help but wonder what I would have ended up with had I found the loose plugs before doing the chains.
Moral of the story, always check the spark plugs first!