Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Has anyone had to replace a dead stock Tire pressure sensor yet?

Old 04-26-2015, 10:04 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Switch to the valve stem style sensors, I purchased a set for like $60 on eBay when I bought my new SVE Drift wheels and they easily programmed with my Ford reset tool.
I bought the reset tool used on eBay as well for like $30 or so. Just make sure the sensors are for '07-'09 Mustangs.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:28 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6bangr
Long story short, I do like having the sensors and want to save a few bucks.

... etc ... but I do like having the sensors because I'm on the highway quite a bit and usually going 80-90mph. I've had one of the sensors go off and when I pulled over ... etc ... because I had no idea there was anything wrong while driving.

I just wanted to get a sense of how long these things TYPICALLY last. If the majority stock sensors in the 07 GT's are still working fine than I can assume mine would likely last just as long.

... etc ...
I am also trying to save a few dollars.
Well, my 2008 GT's are still working and they are oem, car has about 28,xxx miles now.

My 2007 FX4's oem sensors are also still working at 51,xxx miles and they are still in the original Pirelli Scorpions.

Don't know if that helps any .... but it's a start.

I too regularly check my tires. I too like to save money. I too would give serious thought to simply doing as I have done the last 45 years (I'm 61 now), that is to "feel" a tire going soft in my driving (they are easily felt after all). I might not throw $200 or more away on them either as I don't text or pursue other distractions while driving.

Call it luck or whatever else suits, but I have yet to have a tire go soft that I didn't know it before it was flat. I have had a tire "blow" when the tread was cut by a triangle shaped hay mower blade that had been inserted in a groove cut in the roadway during coal strike duty .... and there was that block of ice I hit one night at high speed that busted a rt frt .... and there was the night during high school a buddy of a buddy was riding shotgun and we were cruising and "Mr. Dumass" throwed a coke bottle out the passenger window and I felt that one instantly as the rt rr tire was cut by the remains of the bottle's bottom (and he changed the tire as he wanted to ride home and after getting out of my car later, never was to set foot back in it) .... but a TPMS would not have told me any quicker in any case. There have been a few dozen times when I felt a soft tire, always "in time". That includes over a million miles in a 31+ year career as a state police officer under all sorts of adverse conditions and high speeds.

I recall one night in the wee hours working midnight, on ramp NB at Exit 188, "large car" (fast tractor trailer) at 90 plus .... so I took off .... and then as I was overtaking him (he was maybe 200 yards away when I shot him in the back, so me coming from dead stop, he had a good lead on me by time I got up to his speed .... and I still had to overtake him who was a lot further than 200 yards ahead now) .... and then I felt a soft tire, felt like left rear. I kept my foot in it though, straight interstate, no traffic, caught up, hit lights, he slowed and we stopped .... and as I opened the door to walk up I heard the last bit of air escaping that lt rr. She was flat now, hot and smoking too. If I hadn't got the truck stopped then I would have had to let it go .... and so after I wrote his "safe driving receipt", I watched him pull away ..... and then I changed a tire.

Last edited by tbear853; 04-30-2015 at 09:31 PM.