Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

For those that want to DIY spark plugs 05-08 mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:04 AM
Rider4life76

Default For those that want to DIY spark plugs 05-08 mustangs

I dont know if this has been posted before but i found this great tool, "OTC 6918 Spark Plug Remover Kit", I found the kit on amazon and there's a good video on how to use the kit.
I just purchased to take my pesky 3v,2 Piece 16mm spark plugs out on my 08 mustang, says on the site that the kit works 05-08 spark plugs i believe, so i hope this helps you guys out and saves everyone some cash!!
Old 04-24-2015, 03:15 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

thank you, nice find
Old 04-25-2015, 02:48 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

just looked on amazon and the Lisle 65600 is 7-8$ cheaper. looks like the OTC is a newer tool based on amount of reviews. my .02
Old 05-08-2015, 07:32 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Rider, did you try the new tool? How was it?
Old 05-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Rider4life76

Default OCT Tool

Originally Posted by TPony
Rider, did you try the new tool? How was it?
Hey guys, wuz up, tried the new OTC tool and it worked Great, fits the spark plug bay nice and tight with barely any play so you don't move spark plugs around when working them in and out. One problem i found with it tho was that if the bottom shield part of the spark plug stays stuck in the engine, your screwed as i found out.
I had to buy the lisle 65600 tool to get that other part out, it seems like these old spark plugs feel like a 3 piece since they can break and come out differently.
I used MSD's new Iridium spark plug and they seem to be working great.

Last edited by Rider4life76; 05-10-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:20 AM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rider4life76
Hey guys, wuz up, tried the new OTC tool and it worked Great, fits the spark plug bay nice and tight with barely any play so you don't move spark plugs around when working them in and out. One problem i found with it tho was that if the bottom shield part of the spark plug stays stuck in the engine, your screwed as i found out.
I had to buy the lisle 65600 tool to get that other part out, it seems like these old spark plugs feel like a 3 piece since they can break and come out differently.
I used MSD's new Iridium spark plug and they seem to be working great.
So if the new tool is supposed to cure the breaking problem and you still needed the other tool to extract a broken plug how is it better? Not trying to start anything, but if you're going to break them with the new tool as well why not just stick with the old tried and true tool?
Old 05-11-2015, 06:24 AM
Rider4life76

Originally Posted by BlindGUYnAR
So if the new tool is supposed to cure the breaking problem and you still needed the other tool to extract a broken plug how is it better? Not trying to start anything, but if you're going to break them with the new tool as well why not just stick with the old tried and true tool?
Well, after i bought the OCT tool i didnt know that the Lisle 65600 tool was out there, otherwise i would of just purchased that one but its still good tool and i would use it again.
You ask how is it better?, I never said it was better , but i have found it to be very usefull in keeping the sparkplug aligned and easier to install.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:58 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I'm not sure how you found out about the OTC tool without also finding out about the Lisle too...
Old 05-17-2015, 05:24 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Thanks for getting back with us...looks like the way to go is getting the Lisle tool.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:50 AM
GTerGone

Default 4.6L in Sport Trac

New vs old plugs

After much thought and consternation, I tackled the dreaded spark plug change in my '07 Sport Trac. Several fill ups with some cleaners in the tank and then I used a 3M fuel system tune up kit. It had a spray for injecting through the throttle body...for about 15 mins at 500-1000 rpms above idle. Also it had a throttle body cleaner spray.

I let the engine cool down till warm, rotated the plugs about a 1/4 turn, sprayed some PB blaster in the tubes, probably a bit too much as it's hard to see to the bottom of the tube in the heads, waited 30 mins. It didn't seem there was much "wicking" of the PB down into the threads so I turned them a bit more and waited an hour.

Came out and removed them with impact wrench. No breakage at all. I'd bought the Lisle tool just in case though. Will see if son decides to do his 5.4L in his F150 before selling the tool. He may trade that truck in instead.

I was actually surprised at how clean the plugs were at almost 108k miles but after those several weeks of pretreatment, I guess it did the trick. The platinum electrode was almost totally gone.

New SP514 Motorcraft plugs have it running like new again. I even thought that some of my drivability issues may be tranny related. Those issues disappeared with the new plugs.

Quick Reply: For those that want to DIY spark plugs 05-08 mustangs