Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Goin turbo, need stronger motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 03:08 PM
chrisbrown06stang

Default Goin turbo, need stronger motor

Hi im new to this forum mabey someone could help, i have a 06 gt amd goin to be running about 10-15 lbs of boost, im not really scared of building the motor myself but just dont know what route to go, dont know how much the stock aluminum block can handle with forged internals. I would like to go that route if possible. But if i need to go with a iron block where can i get one built already for a reasonably price or a good place to buy everything i need? I have found lots of 2v and 4v but not much luck for 3v. Thanks
Old 12-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Granatelli Sales
Former Sponsor

We offer complete short blocks and long blocks with forged internals for 2v, 3v and 4v Ford modular engines. JR set multiple records in his modular powered racecar in the early 2000s, and the knowledge we gained through racing helped us build our modular engine program into what it is today. If you have any questions about our program and how we can help you, call us at 805-486-6644 or PM us and we will be happy to help.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:26 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

The WAP aluminum block can hold well more than 15PSI, which would be somewhere around 700RWHP with turbo(s).
If going for a pre-built block, it may be hard to find an aluminum block engine, as the boss iron block is what most are using since Ford is no longer making the 4.6L aluminum block.
In addition to the company above (granatelli), the usual suspects are Brenspeed, JPR, Livernois, MMR, BBR, CHP... just pick up any Mustang magazine and you'll have a list. In many cases you will have to call and talk to them since even though they show price for a package, a built engine really is a custom item and there are a lot of options.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:38 PM
chrisbrown06stang

Originally Posted by Granatelli Sales
We offer complete short blocks and long blocks with forged internals for 2v, 3v and 4v Ford modular engines. JR set multiple records in his modular powered racecar in the early 2000s, and the knowledge we gained through racing helped us build our modular engine program into what it is today. If you have any questions about our program and how we can help you, call us at 805-486-6644 or PM us and we will be happy to help.
Awesome! I will be getting ahold of you. Thanks
Old 12-07-2015, 07:40 PM
chrisbrown06stang

Originally Posted by danzcool
The WAP aluminum block can hold well more than 15PSI, which would be somewhere around 700RWHP with turbo(s).
If going for a pre-built block, it may be hard to find an aluminum block engine, as the boss iron block is what most are using since Ford is no longer making the 4.6L aluminum block.
In addition to the company above (granatelli), the usual suspects are Brenspeed, JPR, Livernois, MMR, BBR, CHP... just pick up any Mustang magazine and you'll have a list. In many cases you will have to call and talk to them since even though they show price for a package, a built engine really is a custom item and there are a lot of options.
Great information! Thank you very much, that helps alot!
Old 12-30-2015, 06:20 PM
strangebhavior

Hey chris I'm kinda in the same boat as you. How soon do you plan on doing this? I've been looking at short blocks and rotating assemblies for a couple weeks now. Was kind of looking for a group buy or some kind of special one of the vendors might be running. Figure if we hook up buy together might have a little more bargaining power. Especially since I hadn't made up my mind which way I'm going rebuilding mine or getting short block. At the least doing a stroker , but really like a big bore. Anyway if interested pm me and we can help each other decide. Thanks
Old 12-31-2015, 05:10 AM
chrisbrown06stang

Originally Posted by strangebhavior
Hey chris I'm kinda in the same boat as you. How soon do you plan on doing this? I've been looking at short blocks and rotating assemblies for a couple weeks now. Was kind of looking for a group buy or some kind of special one of the vendors might be running. Figure if we hook up buy together might have a little more bargaining power. Especially since I hadn't made up my mind which way I'm going rebuilding mine or getting short block. At the least doing a stroker , but really like a big bore. Anyway if interested pm me and we can help each other decide. Thanks
That sounds great, im looking to build mine around February-March 2016. There is a site i found, its called Manny's Hardcore Performance. They have stroker blocks, short and long block all of them all ready built with forged internals and most iron blocks, was planning on building my own but their prices are awesome, and i thought for the price and they come with a warranty it would be well worth it. I did a bunch of research on the company (forums,youtube and such) all great stuff, i gave them a call and they told me about $200 for shipping, i live in kansas. They have definitely got the best prices i can find out there. Hope this helps you out,
Old 12-31-2015, 08:53 PM
strangebhavior

Gonna take a look at them now. The only place I really talked to someone was emailing back and forth with was mmr. Talked to local shop today, and want to talk to machine shop also. Would be nice to be able to do something local. Depends where you go might be a month or so before getting motor after its ordered, especislly if decide to use original block. Also might be something where I assemble motor instead of short block. Think the only reason I see to not use my block is if go big bore stroker, which needs iron block. Did you check around locally? Also not looking for the cheapest place, but keeping price in mind. If you look around enough its easy to find both good and bad reviews of all places. Also I did talk to ford racing too about their new short block ,b53 r something like that. It's a big bore stroker also.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:13 AM
Granatelli Sales
Former Sponsor

When building hi-po motors its not about the "cheapest price" It about the quality of the machine work and the parts that go into it. Really more about the machine work and prep. Truthfully 1 engine or 2 the prices don't chnage much when you consider they will be shipped 2 different places.

As I said above J.R. Granatelli knows his stuff and would be happy to help. I am sure he will make you guys a deal but "DEAL" is a relative term and it will come down to EXACTLY what parts you put in the motors and what you want them to do.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:21 AM
chrisbrown06stang

Originally Posted by Granatelli Sales
When building hi-po motors its not about the "cheapest price" It about the quality of the machine work and the parts that go into it. Really more about the machine work and prep. Truthfully 1 engine or 2 the prices don't chnage much when you consider they will be shipped 2 different places.

As I said above J.R. Granatelli knows his stuff and would be happy to help. I am sure he will make you guys a deal but "DEAL" is a relative term and it will come down to EXACTLY what parts you put in the motors and what you want them to do.
Your absolutely right, i did do alot of research about them and read and asked what kind and brand of parts they use, but thank you i will definitely be giving J.R. Granatelli a call, thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Goin turbo, need stronger motor