Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2005 GT head removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 04:08 PM
Antny370

Default 2005 GT head removal

I changed the defective plugs. Broke only 3. Bought the removal tool. Success on all but 1. The plug's metal tip literally broke off in the cylinder because the tool pushed the electrode too far in. Now I have a small piece of non-magnetic metal in the cylinder. I've tried everything I can think of to get it out with no success. I am now planning to remove the head while in the car. I am not a novice mechanic, however, I have never worked on a modular engine. Advice, tips, tricks, etc, will be much appreciated!
Old 01-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Have you maybe tried something sticky on the end of a stiff (coat hanger) wire? There must be some way short of pulling the head. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:33 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

All three guys I have seen pull the heads take the engine out. Usually through the bottom.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:23 PM
Antny370

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
Have you maybe tried something sticky on the end of a stiff (coat hanger) wire? There must be some way short of pulling the head. Good luck.
Yea man, I've tried that too. I even bought a bore scope to try to locate it but it was basically a piece of crap. I tried vacuuming too.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:25 PM
Antny370

I've read where Ford suggests pulling the engine but if there's a way to do it without that I'm in! I think Ford should fix it since it's their defect to begin with, but apparently they aren't interested. Thanks
Old 01-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I still can't believe there hasn't been a class action suit against Ford over this issue.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:39 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

When you tried vacuuming, did you use a small tube or something that would actually get into the spark plug hole? Might be an idea. I also wonder if you could crank the engine over with the plug out, maybe it would blow it out of the hole?
Old 01-07-2016, 09:47 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I wonder if you could use a can of compressed air and hit it several times.

Try moving the crankcase slowly to get piston in a better spot.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:40 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by ghunt
When you tried vacuuming, did you use a small tube or something that would actually get into the spark plug hole? Might be an idea. I also wonder if you could crank the engine over with the plug out, maybe it would blow it out of the hole?
I wouldn't crank the engine over with using the key a foreign object in there, At best you'll score the cylinder wall and create a problem with piston blowby. At worst it gets lodged in a valve and you could end up smacking the piston into that valve.

If you turn the engine over, do it by hand (remove the negative battery cable first).

I second the vacuum with a small tube adapted to it to fit in through the spark plug hole.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:48 PM
Antny370

Originally Posted by Derf00
I wouldn't crank the engine over with using the key a foreign object in there, At best you'll score the cylinder wall and create a problem with piston blowby. At worst it gets lodged in a valve and you could end up smacking the piston into that valve.

If you turn the engine over, do it by hand (remove the negative battery cable first).

I second the vacuum with a small tube adapted to it to fit in through the spark plug hole.
I did the vacuum so much that my hand almost fell off. Ha! I did get a small piece of porcelain out but the metal remained.

Quick Reply: 2005 GT head removal