2005 GT head removal - MustangForums.com

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005-2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
Search

4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2005 GT head removal

Old 01-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #1
Antny370

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT Convertible
Default 2005 GT head removal

I changed the defective plugs. Broke only 3. Bought the removal tool. Success on all but 1. The plug's metal tip literally broke off in the cylinder because the tool pushed the electrode too far in. Now I have a small piece of non-magnetic metal in the cylinder. I've tried everything I can think of to get it out with no success. I am now planning to remove the head while in the car. I am not a novice mechanic, however, I have never worked on a modular engine. Advice, tips, tricks, etc, will be much appreciated!
Antny370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Have you maybe tried something sticky on the end of a stiff (coat hanger) wire? There must be some way short of pulling the head. Good luck.
18" "Fanblade Wheels"
CORSA Performance exhaust
Brenspeed 87 octane performance tune
MGW Shifter
Goldenpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:33 AM   #3
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

All three guys I have seen pull the heads take the engine out. Usually through the bottom.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

Motor Built by ST Motorsports
Tuned By Tony at Tuners Inc

11.05@129
Simon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:23 PM   #4
Antny370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenpony View Post
Have you maybe tried something sticky on the end of a stiff (coat hanger) wire? There must be some way short of pulling the head. Good luck.
Yea man, I've tried that too. I even bought a bore scope to try to locate it but it was basically a piece of crap. I tried vacuuming too.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #5
Antny370

I've read where Ford suggests pulling the engine but if there's a way to do it without that I'm in! I think Ford should fix it since it's their defect to begin with, but apparently they aren't interested. Thanks
Old 01-06-2016, 10:49 PM   #6
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I still can't believe there hasn't been a class action suit against Ford over this issue.
18" "Fanblade Wheels"
CORSA Performance exhaust
Brenspeed 87 octane performance tune
MGW Shifter
Goldenpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

When you tried vacuuming, did you use a small tube or something that would actually get into the spark plug hole? Might be an idea. I also wonder if you could crank the engine over with the plug out, maybe it would blow it out of the hole?
C&L Racer, 93R Tune, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA ceramic LT's & catted shorty H, Magnaflow resonators, Edelbrock SDT AB, Steeda Tri-Ax, "P" springs, Spohn reloc brackets/lowers, J&M upper & mount, J&M AL panhard bar, DIY brace, smoked markers/LED tail lights
Winter project: BMR springs, Koni STR.T's
2009 Ranger XL SCab- 4.0, auto, 4x4
ghunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #8
movielover40
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Mustang V-6 Premium

I wonder if you could use a can of compressed air and hit it several times.

Try moving the crankcase slowly to get piston in a better spot.
movielover40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: '08 S197 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghunt View Post
When you tried vacuuming, did you use a small tube or something that would actually get into the spark plug hole? Might be an idea. I also wonder if you could crank the engine over with the plug out, maybe it would blow it out of the hole?
I wouldn't crank the engine over with using the key a foreign object in there, At best you'll score the cylinder wall and create a problem with piston blowby. At worst it gets lodged in a valve and you could end up smacking the piston into that valve.

If you turn the engine over, do it by hand (remove the negative battery cable first).

I second the vacuum with a small tube adapted to it to fit in through the spark plug hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:48 PM   #10
Antny370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf00 View Post
I wouldn't crank the engine over with using the key a foreign object in there, At best you'll score the cylinder wall and create a problem with piston blowby. At worst it gets lodged in a valve and you could end up smacking the piston into that valve.

If you turn the engine over, do it by hand (remove the negative battery cable first).

I second the vacuum with a small tube adapted to it to fit in through the spark plug hole.
I did the vacuum so much that my hand almost fell off. Ha! I did get a small piece of porcelain out but the metal remained.