Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

06 GT wont California smog

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 02:27 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
I was being sarcastic.
Of course I'm in favor of getting as close to zero emissions as possible but instead of the EPA and the RTA being finicky about fault codes that might have no effect on emissions at all, they could invest in a better public transport system so people won't have to use their cars as much for their normal daily activities.
I would call them the smog gestapo, since they currently aren't interested in what the actual emissions levels are, just that whatever aftermarket companies there are payed the bribe to get an exemption order number... but that's besides the point.
Yeah, it's likely that some sensors are not reading ready, that may be due to bot going through the proper "drive cycle", or it may be that the tune has sensors turned off. You should be able to get a tune from Bama (american muscle) for emissions that has all the sensors turned on.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:19 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Fun stuff... If you're running the aftermarket CAI is it CARB certified? CA is very finicky on that. If you recently cleared codes or unhooked the battery, you have to run what called an OBDII drive cycle.

MOST STATES have emissions laws in place to avoid people simply trying to erase CEL codes or hide faulty sensors by disconnecting the battery. Every sensor has certain amount or number of conditions it has to go through for it to be cleared on a Code scanner. Most if not all are cleared within a few days of regular driving but you can clear them completely in a day if you follow the instructions.

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html
Old 03-29-2016, 05:59 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

there ya go, and go with Brenspeed for tunes next time, just sayin. good luck
Old 03-29-2016, 07:59 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
I was being sarcastic.
Of course I'm in favor of getting as close to zero emissions as possible but instead of the EPA and the RTA being finicky about fault codes that might have no effect on emissions at all, they could invest in a better public transport system so people won't have to use their cars as much for their normal daily activities.
Imagine drinking a glass of milk with a teaspoon of crap in it. Drive car until tank is almost empty then fill with premium.

I had bad race fuel one time and it took three complete fill ups to go away.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:01 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slowpoek06GT
Ok, so I hear all that and I appreciate the feedback. This car, keep in mind, has sat still for most of the last 14 months. I understand that the 89 octane that I ran in July 2015 may have developed a bit and could be throwing off the exhaust numbers. Can I just run the 89 until it's low and then fill 87 on top of it and go through the above steps??--- or do I really need to drain this thing via tank drop or fuel line drain?
I meant to quote this not the one above.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:01 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
Imagine drinking a glass of milk with a teaspoon of crap in it.
No thanks!
Old 03-30-2016, 04:33 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
it's perfectly logical. P1000 is an "invisible" code (won't put on the check engine light) which sets until the car has been driven enough for the OBD monitors to reach a "ready for test" state. If that code is present, they'll find it on the initial scan and fail you right away before they put the car on the sniffer because they assume you're trying to hide something.

and I wouldn't call them the "smog gestapo," since this is what Los Angeles used to look like (in 1980):
They really are smog Gestapo, if you have a car running better than when it was manufactured, I mean putting out less emissions yet will not pass visual it fails. Go put it back to stock, make more smog and it passes. California Emissions and CARB in general are a big Scam.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:56 AM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

I tend to agree with siber express. It's all about the money like everything else in this country. They are a business nothing else. A properly maintained car can and will pass a sniffer without cats. Seen it done multiple times but will fail based in visual. Cats are there for people that neglect their cars maintenance to deal with the excess caused by bad plugs or a myriad of other maintenance issues. So since some people are neglectful we all get penalized. Ok rant over back to the original issue. Is your battery fully charged now? A low/dead battery can cause all sorts of issues. The PCM needs a certain voltage to run properly and perform its checks. I've seen a weak battery cause a p1000 that won't go away more than once. Check your voltages to be sure they are in spec. Also most performance or race tunes have the rear O2s turned off so it will never show ready now matter how far you drive it. If you have a scan tool it will tell you which monitors aren't going ready.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:56 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09GT/CS
I tend to agree with siber express. It's all about the money like everything else in this country. They are a business nothing else. A properly maintained car can and will pass a sniffer without cats. Seen it done multiple times but will fail based in visual.
Be careful. A sniffer test at idle or even fast idle is only a snapshot of the full range of actual operating conditions. It is not appropriate to assume that passing at idle means that the car runs equally clean under throttle or other conditions. Which are the ones best dealt with by the converter.

Cats are there for people that neglect their cars maintenance to deal with the excess caused by bad plugs or a myriad of other maintenance issues. So since some people are neglectful we all get penalized.
Perhaps they'll "cover for" a limited amount of neglect, but in doing so they'll generally deteriorate faster (and turn on the CEL for catalyst efficiency).

Ok rant over back to the original issue. Is your battery fully charged now? A low/dead battery can cause all sorts of issues. The PCM needs a certain voltage to run properly and perform its checks. I've seen a weak battery cause a p1000 that won't go away more than once. Check your voltages to be sure they are in spec. Also most performance or race tunes have the rear O2s turned off so it will never show ready now matter how far you drive it. If you have a scan tool it will tell you which monitors aren't going ready.
Lots of good possibilities for OP to consider here, though.

FWIW as an engineer (now retired), I believe more in the concept of getting emissions as close as reasonably practical to zero. By definition, that isn't and probably cannot ever be exactly zero. It's a somewhat less stringent philosophy than the one that I worked under while in the power industry ("as low as reasonably achievable"), but we're dealing with $$$$$.¢¢ cars that have to sell in large numbers here, not a handful of multi-billion-$ power plants.

Even with emissions, there exists a point of diminishing returns.

Norm
Old 04-05-2016, 04:26 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Be careful. A sniffer test at idle or even fast idle is only a snapshot of the full range of actual operating conditions. It is not appropriate to assume that passing at idle means that the car runs equally clean under throttle or other conditions. Which are the ones best dealt with by the converter.Perhaps they'll "cover for" a limited amount of neglect, but in doing so they'll generally deteriorate faster (and turn on the CEL for catalyst efficiency).Lots of good possibilities for OP to consider here, though.
Oh I agree but they give a fairly lenient range of emissions levels that the car can be in between and be considered compliant. My point was even without cats a maintained car can get the levels within that range without too much fuss. Even under load.

FWIW as an engineer (now retired), I believe more in the concept of getting emissions as close as reasonably practical to zero. By definition, that isn't and probably cannot ever be exactly zero. It's a somewhat less stringent philosophy than the one that I worked under while in the power industry ("as low as reasonably achievable"), but we're dealing with $$$$$.¢¢ cars that have to sell in large numbers here, not a handful of multi-billion-$ power plants.

Even with emissions, there exists a point of diminishing returns.
Exactly there's definitely a point where the cost of cleaning up the exhaust any further is just not practical. But after doing my own research I think it's a joke that the general consumer is caught up in states like California that really do go overboard. I'm all for a clean environment but the cars on the road have a minimal impact on the environment. It's almost like they are beating a dead horse at this point. They would have a much higher return going after some of these older dirty plants that real awe many times more pollutants than our vehicles. But they won't because big business gives too many kick backs to those in power.

Norm
California just is a bit to extreme I feel.

Quick Reply: 06 GT wont California smog