Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

06 GT wont California smog

Old 03-27-2016, 02:28 PM
Slowpoek06GT
1st Gear Member

Default 06 GT wont California smog

Ok- so I've read the threads about other years and mods-- but this is an 06 GT with a steeda CAI and bama tune. There are no other intake mods on the car. I live away from the car right now but am trying to get the smog guys to help me out because they can't get it to smog. They have yet to return the car to stock tune with the bama tuner-- but they've flashed it, driven it, reset it, etc. Is my CAI keeping me from passing smog? I reset the car to stock 2 years ago and it had no issues-- the battery died about 4 months ago, but like I said it's been flashed and driven and so on...

Any help here would be awesome. I'm trying to narrow it down because I have to go pick it up and am trying to estimate how many days I'll need to get it to pass before I can drive it cross country.

Thanks-
Old 03-27-2016, 05:32 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

they have yet to return the car to stock tune via the bama/sct tuner, got that. but they've flashed it? if the steeda intake has the choker tube in it then it shouldn't need a tune to run stock. if it doesn't then it needs to be accounted for in the tune. no big deal as the tuner has a list of cai options and steeda is one of them, no problem. if they keep messing with it and the car comes back with p1000, it wont pass as the system checks have not been met. tell them to tune it for the steeda intake and that's all and drive it to get the systems ready then go get it inspected. good luck
Old 03-27-2016, 05:33 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Charge battery fully.
Reflash to stock,replace CAI with stock unit.
Smog

The end

You didn't say why it wouldn't pass. Usually a smog shop will tell you what's wrong and what needs to happen. It's possible that all sorts of stuff could have gone wrong. But I would start with the above.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:25 PM
Slowpoek06GT
1st Gear Member

So, I guess a couple years back California started adding some sort of additional "system return" requirement along with the actual smog. Apparently this is what it won't pass. I'm not familiar with the choker tube, as I installed the CAI as a straight swap and tuned it with the bama tuner. It was on a 89 performance tune before the battery died. Since then, they have not (certain shops refuse) plugged the bama tuner back in and returned to stock (or street for that matter) tune. I was hoping that since it ran and smogged fine before all this, the issue is what bl817 mentioned above. I'm gonna go with that-- no stock intake around anymore anyway. Thanks, gents.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:56 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

whatever tune was on it before the battery died will be on it once the new battery was/is installed. the reason it wouldn't smog is because the car sensed the battery was undone and it threw the p1000 code. it does this so ppl cant just remove the cables for 30 min to reset a CEL, then put the cables back in and head down to the emissions inspection and get a pass. if it were me, I would have whoever is supposed to be looking after your car, not do that anymore as they are just making the situation worse imho.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:20 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bl817
whatever tune was on it before the battery died will be on it once the new battery was/is installed. the reason it wouldn't smog is because the car sensed the battery was undone and it threw the p1000 code. it does this so ppl cant just remove the cables for 30 min to reset a CEL, then put the cables back in and head down to the emissions inspection and get a pass. if it were me, I would have whoever is supposed to be looking after your car, not do that anymore as they are just making the situation worse imho.
No doubt all these rules that the smog gestapo came up with over the years make complete sense and are of huge benefit to the environment.
Pass emissions and fail the test 'cause the battery was disconnected? Yeah, that sounds very logical to me.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:20 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

any time the battery is disconnected/reconnected, it logs the p1000, system not ready code-no cel. vehicle wont pass emissions until systems checks are ready and p1000 goes away. I agree that they are in place for the environment and that's not all bad, isn't that what the gas guzzler tax is for?

Last edited by bl817; 03-28-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:35 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
No doubt all these rules that the smog gestapo came up with over the years make complete sense and are of huge benefit to the environment.
Pass emissions and fail the test 'cause the battery was disconnected? Yeah, that sounds very logical to me.
it's perfectly logical. P1000 is an "invisible" code (won't put on the check engine light) which sets until the car has been driven enough for the OBD monitors to reach a "ready for test" state. If that code is present, they'll find it on the initial scan and fail you right away before they put the car on the sniffer because they assume you're trying to hide something.

and I wouldn't call them the "smog gestapo," since this is what Los Angeles used to look like (in 1980):
Attached Thumbnails 06 GT wont California smog-la-smog1980_00326758a.jpg  
Old 03-28-2016, 10:18 PM
Slowpoek06GT
1st Gear Member

Ok, so I hear all that and I appreciate the feedback. This car, keep in mind, has sat still for most of the last 14 months. I understand that the 89 octane that I ran in July 2015 may have developed a bit and could be throwing off the exhaust numbers. Can I just run the 89 until it's low and then fill 87 on top of it and go through the above steps??--- or do I really need to drain this thing via tank drop or fuel line drain?
Old 03-29-2016, 12:31 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
it's perfectly logical. P1000 is an "invisible" code (won't put on the check engine light) which sets until the car has been driven enough for the OBD monitors to reach a "ready for test" state. If that code is present, they'll find it on the initial scan and fail you right away before they put the car on the sniffer because they assume you're trying to hide something.

and I wouldn't call them the "smog gestapo," since this is what Los Angeles used to look like (in 1980):
I was being sarcastic.
Of course I'm in favor of getting as close to zero emissions as possible but instead of the EPA and the RTA being finicky about fault codes that might have no effect on emissions at all, they could invest in a better public transport system so people won't have to use their cars as much for their normal daily activities.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 GT wont California smog