Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

I have a tick.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 10:05 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Exclamation I have a tick.

So while I have good power, I was hoping I had an exhaust leak, I just replaced the header gasket. Pretty sure this isn't exhaust.

Leaves me thinking I have a bent valve or something?

One other thought. I had a leaky valve cover, I saw some of the oil up top as I was replacing it. It was very dirty and had some water droplets. Is it possible my tick is a head gasket on the way out?

I get the feeling I am ordering a head change kit and pulling the heads to find out, thoughts?

Car in sig.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:24 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I should add... At startup it is worse. After a while you can barely hear it at idle, or cruising around light throttle. Under a good load, like half throttle or up a steep hill, tick tick tick tick tick.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

That sounds more like a lifter but idk...

I think I have a head gasket going out also. I put a mark on my coolant tank to see if it goes down this weekend while racing.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:47 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I don't have much experience over on the valve-train, so please, whats your idea about a lifter? How would you proceed?
Old 04-07-2016, 12:14 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't have any idea really.

Techs use a stethoscope with a metal rod on the end to place it directly onto parts to isolate noise. I imagine they would put it on each coil, injector, exhaust on the manifold etc unhook they heyat something.

Lifters in our cars are hydraulic and work off of oil pressure. So it's not uncommon in a lot of cars with these lifters to make noise on start up and then go away as the lifter is pressurized and the oil gets hot.

I really have no idea what the sound really is. Until the noise is isolate you will bee just guessing. A talented mechanic could probably tell you.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:31 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Thanks man. I looked up some info and educated myself in the mean time.

Did the chemical clean route, same sound.

The way it changes with temp and load, lifter sounds plausible.

I have this turbo kit waiting to go on so I am stuck between:

1. Live with it, run it till she blows.

2. Order a head change kits, header gaskets, go exploring, possibly fix. $100 + what I find

3. Order the lifter and rocker kit $400 and though not bad to replace on this 100k motor, might not need.

4. 2 and 3

5. Order some longblock if I can find the money. like $14k for that b326 stage 3 longblock.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:48 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hey JD my old friend, where are we at with this? what's the plan.....

can you post a vid of the engine idling, so we can hear the noise....maybe have someone rev it up a little every now and then.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:33 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Hey Hammer,
Nice to see ya. Currently the plan is I am going to replace the gasket one more time. These BBK gaskets are squishy and I got a lot of turn out of the bolts the next day. In the mean time, also looking at rebuild / motor options.

I also have to figure out tuning options as American Muscle is not tuning turbo cars and never gave me a tune....
Old 04-17-2016, 07:24 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

if it were an exhaust leak before the oxygen sensor, i wonder if that would affect the short term fuel trim value for that bank. if you were able to monitor both banks and there was a significant difference between the two, that might confirm a leak.

with my aeroforce gauge, i could monitor stft for both banks.

i am hoping it is something easy to fix, keep us updated.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:32 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Im gonna go with it being an exhaust leak. Just because it changes after it warms up. This could easily be parts expanding due to heat and sealing up better than when cold. Ticking sound will come from the gasket area, or manifold/header to pipe joint. Any other place will just make for a louder sounding exhaust.

Quick Reply: I have a tick.