Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Trying to verify production specs a gearhead friend told me

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 02:22 PM
DeepViolet

Default Trying to verify production specs a gearhead friend told me

Hey everybody-- new to the forums so if this is the wrong place for this post, please point me to the correct one.
I have a long-time gearhead friend who gave me some pretty specific production specs when I told him I was looking to sell my '96 GT. Problem is, the only one I can independently verify is how many were produced in Deep Violet that year.
Here's what he told me, can anyone help me find out if they're correct or not?
- 4,769 were produced in Deep Violet in 1996
- Of those, roughly 18% were the GT model
- Of those, only about 3% were 5-speed
Now, granted, I could ask him, but I've learned to take what he says with a grain of salt-- he's great at fixing any kind of car, but too much exhaust inhalation in an enclosed area for too long is my guess.
I hate to sell it, I've had it since early 2000 and I'm the 2nd owner, but it's already sat for a couple of months, we're moving out of state at the end of May and I can't take it with me. I really had saved it all this time for my oldest son who is 16, but honestly, I don't understand that kid. Not only does he have no desire to get his driver's license, but he's not interested in the car at all except for nostalgic purposes. I guess to each his own or whatever.
I'd like to know the production specs so I can market it effectively, so any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Trying to verify production specs a gearhead friend told me-20150425_192544.jpg  
Old 05-01-2016, 11:16 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

here is a decoder for 96, http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/1996vinmatrix.shtml
not sure about production numbers, but for a 96 it really doesnt matter as they are nothing special at this point in time.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:05 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeepViolet
I really had saved it all this time for my oldest son who is 16, but honestly, I don't understand that kid. Not only does he have no desire to get his driver's license, but he's not interested in the car at all except for nostalgic purposes.
That makes me kinda sad but unfortunately, I've been hearing that about the younger generation...much less interest in cars and driving than almost every generation before them.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:27 PM
Mignav001

Default Trying to verify production specs a gearhead friend told me

Gee, if my dad offered me a Mustang when I was 16... it is sad. lots of people nowadays aren't into cars, I always feel like I was born in the wrong generation lol
Old 05-05-2016, 11:43 AM
Otter

Originally Posted by ghunt
That makes me kinda sad but unfortunately, I've been hearing that about the younger generation...much less interest in cars and driving than almost every generation before them.
I've seen this a lot over the past 10 years or so, I would love to know the reason why they aren't interested. My only guess is they are fine staying in touch with friends digitally with no need to see them.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:29 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Otter
I've seen this a lot over the past 10 years or so, I would love to know the reason why they aren't interested. My only guess is they are fine staying in touch with friends digitally with no need to see them.
My thought is that it is a couple of things...
cost, not having a car payment, insurance, and gas and maintenance... public transit and the ocassional cab/uber is way less expensive.
besides that, kids these days are pretty much restricted from giving other kids rides in their car until they are 18, this sort of kills the reason for getting a car in high school, byu the time they are 18 they have gotten used to public transit.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:48 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I guess I got lucky. My daughter is only 12 and she already forbade me from selling the Mustang because she wants it for College. I'm already teaching her how to drive manual.

I started driving at 14 and got my first manual car at 16. I've had 4 manuals and two autos, plus the one I used to "borrow" from my parents at 14