Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Best most cost effective brake upgrade for 2005-2009 GT???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 01:59 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007 GT//CS
Built this grill for my Bronco out of sheet steel and mounting brackets.
Also built the bumper from channel iron.a also painted the new front bumper for the stang about year and half ago
Nice work!
Old 05-28-2016, 11:53 AM
2007 GT//CS
1st Gear Member

Thanks! So I have doing some looking and fount a full set of zinc plated,cross drilled,slotted rotors with ceramic pads on line for $250.00.there from a company called Callahan's.they look like what I'm going to go with.didnt find any great deals on caliper upgrades or oversized rotors and I don't have $2k to drop on it right now so do the $250.00 upgrade and ride out for a while.probly order them today.maby try and grab a couple of pictures of the install.thanks!
Old 06-03-2016, 03:10 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

don't get drilled, slotted maybe but not drilled. Trust me, been there, done that. Drilled will develop cracks, especially the cheap ones.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:53 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash_xx
don't get drilled, slotted maybe but not drilled.
Mine are slotted and cryo treated so they should last as long as the car.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:31 AM
2007 GT//CS
1st Gear Member

Well I have ran the same brand on my NISSAN TITAN for over 100k miles with oversized tires,pulling heavy loads and they haven't got any cracking or any problems.at least as of 8k miles ago when I had them turned down.there top quality and I would recommend them to anyone.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:45 AM
2007 GT//CS
1st Gear Member

Hey Dino Bambino hows it going man? Guess even though I got nearly 100 posts that I can only send P.m..lol! When I went to check a reply it kicked me off the sight.lol! Then forgot my password and all that.anyway finally back signed in.guess should have read the rules.lol! Cryo dipped rotors?what type of coating is that? The ones I have are zinc plated with ebc pads and have been awolsome.the ones on my Titan that is.pads that came with them were kinda crappy but once I replaced them no problems at all.the ones I got for the stang I will probly do the same with.and got them at a good deal they usually run $500 per set ,so in my book that's not cheap.not like ssbc,bear,wilwood,exc but I think you can get decent quality without spending a grand or more on rotors.maby upgrade to better calipers and bigger rotors later ,but hell factory wasent bad after some of the old dilapidated,out dated heeps I have driven over the years.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:24 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Here's more info. about the Powerslot cryogenically treated rotors:

http://www.brakewarehouse.com/power_...yo_rotors.html

I'm also using Hawk Performance ceramic pads. Yesterday's club drive up in the mountains was a good test of their performance. I could smell the linings of others with stock brakes as they were well and truly heated but no smell and no fade from mine.
The only downside of the ceramic pads is that they don't work so well when they're cold but once you get a bit of heat into them, they perform great.
I think this combination is a good step up from stock if you don't want to go as far as swapping in the Brembo calipers and bigger rotors from a GT500.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:45 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

Callahan's is a real company? huh...
Old 06-04-2016, 03:18 PM
2007 GT//CS
1st Gear Member

Yup,there a real company.have had them on my Titan for a good while and a good friend has had them on his 02GT for about 3 years with no problems at all.we both upgraded pads after about 15 k miles.no warping or cracking.sure there are some problems and bad reviews with most any brand but for the money not a bad product. I'm the first to say that there is some complete junk on the market.i ordered a set of strutts for my Titan and they were a off brand and 4 months later lower bushing was shot and they had to be trashed for rancho's .so there are some truly crap products out there but I don't have any complaints on the rotors on my truck and my friend with the 02Gt loves them .the pads they send with them are crap but if you slap some Hall or ebc on there after a few miles they work good.i would say for the money if I had to buy two sets of I happened to get a bad one or have a issue it's still cheaper than other brands. so hope the new set I ordered is as good as the ones I have on the Titan.i will be more than happy to post the install and update on how well they hold up eveory time I rotate tires eveory 5k miles so we can all find out together if there worth it.if I have problems I will be the first to admit it and pay up for some name brand ones.dont mind spending the $$$$ but if I can save and have a decent product then why not.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:28 PM
2007 GT//CS
1st Gear Member

I have found the same thing Dino , they work better hot.the brand rotors look to be top notch.what was the price tag on them? If the Callahan's that I ordered don't work out I may try the ones that you got.I would love to upgrade entire brake system but do rotors now.stainless lines in near future and maby next Year go with better calipers and bigger rotors.but I don't think it will be necessary because the brakes balance out well with current power and handling of the car.if I keep with H.p. and handling upgrades then maby one day.for now all the big bucks are going to our new place and our property.lol! Have a 24x26 metal garage being installed next week so my two pony's have a new stable.Mustang & Bronco.lol! when I get set up out here things will be alot easier to do as in projects on vehicles.

Quick Reply: Best most cost effective brake upgrade for 2005-2009 GT???