Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

New ford racing intake manifold

Old 05-25-2016, 12:25 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
Unfortunately all the ported head tests I've seen trade bottom end for top end, most of them lose a good bit of torque down low. A lot of mods for the 4.6 trade bottom end for top end, and usually that top end is all above 5000 RPM.
That applies to most of the performance cams.
The torque loss with the FRPP manifold is in the 3300-5200rpm range. At lower rpm it's about the same as the stock manifold.
LT headers produce good midrange and top end power gains without any low rev torque loss, whereas shorties modest gains at lower rpm with decent midrange torque gains and modest gains at higher rpm.
The combination of underdrive pulleys and charge motion delete plates is definitely also worth doing (needs a CMCV delete tune).
Old 05-25-2016, 07:18 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

2007 GT//CS, worth a read since you're looking at some of these parts:
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...ifold-testing/

Though, I'd like to know where they found a 360 hp "seasoned stock" engine for their baseline...maybe that's what the stocker made with a tune and headers on the dyno?
Old 05-25-2016, 08:58 AM
2007 GT//CS
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys and as far as charge motion plater delete,that is built into the new Ford racing intake manifold I just installed and it wouldn't run with a c.m.d.p. tune that came on my sct tuner,had to get two custom tunes just so the thing would idle after the intake swap.but after tune it does have a noticeable power gain when it's in the upper rpms! Liked the article on intake and cams,had alot of good info and the H.p. and torque dyno chart makes tracking how mods work easy and you can see the gains and losses in the rpm range.so I guess next step is headers and followed with x-pipe! If I ever have to rebuild motor or set it up for Supercharger I will be doing a stroker kit to increase cubic inches for adding little more torque and horsepower.but for now she's running stringer than ever and just going to continue on with the exhaust and maby bottom end cams down the road.i will have to da alot more resurch before I jump into cams thow.not sure I will do that until I build a second Mustang for a toy. my birthday is coming up and think my wife is going to buy me a new hood though.super excited for either stalker2 or ram air from A.M. and already have Elinor front bumper so it will be sick! If anybody else knows of good mods for bottom end and good mid range gains please let me know what you !thanks!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:08 AM
2007 GT//CS
1st Gear Member

Also on the article that was posted they had a electric water pump I'm pretty sure and long tube headers and some kinda custom tune where the T.b. didn't need a intake tube or filter and cams locked out.guess that's why baseline was so high.the roots style superchargers and stroker kit combination would be relly awolsome but relly expensive! Maby one day but for now I just going with headers and x-pipe with a new custom tune .after that I will see if my foot is still hungry for more H.p.! Wish there was more to help with bottom end torque on the aftermarket...but the cars are pretty awolsome bone stock.it took me years to get hungry for more H.p.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:52 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I don't think the cams were locked out on the engine in the test...Hot Rods are designed to work with the factory VCT system, and they would have been showing even less low end torque if the cams were locked out. Only big aftermarket cams generally require lockout and those types of cams are all top end.

I did miss the electric water pump and the fact that they were driving no accessories at all- that would definitely explain the extra power!

BTW- Headers are a job to install but I think they are worth it even just for sound alone, plus they're good for 20 hp or so according to most sources. I love mine. I also went back and forth a few times on the cams before I ordered them but they really transform the sound of the car too. Install is actually fairly easy too, a little tricky when you first do it but you can do both sides in less than 4 hours.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:27 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
Though, I'd like to know where they found a 360 hp "seasoned stock" engine for their baseline...maybe that's what the stocker made with a tune and headers on the dyno?
That 360hp was a spike on the dyno at 6000rpm. The true HP peak was 350.5hp @ 6200rpm with peak TQ of 352.1lbft @ 4300rpm. Those figures were reached with a stock long block plus Ford Racing CAI, Ford Racing 62mm TB, long tube headers, no cats, electric water pump, no belt-driven accessories, and a custom tune.
The other dyno runs in that article also had weird peaks and troughs which make the results difficult to interpret. Makes me wonder if the editor even bothered to proof read the article before approving its publication.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:02 PM
2007 GT//CS
1st Gear Member

Yeah those numbers aren't relly realistic on a normal car that has all accessories full exhaust,catted or not.it kinda sucks that the only way to build H.p. is taking so much out of the bottom end.going to do headers,x-pipe and re tune the whole set up and see what it can do.if it needs anything further I will look at cams a little more closely and possibly do whole motor build with a stroker kit,heads and roots style,s.c..may just buy another car to start a build on.or possibly a newer style 5.0 to start with.just not sure... relly like the 3v 4.6 motor... well after other mods guess we will see.once you get the power bug it's hard to shake.

Search this Thread