Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

first mod questions

Old 07-19-2016, 01:49 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jon Campbell
I have read different posts of whether there is really any gain from the cut and clamp X. Could you see any improvements?
According to Ford Racing the X-pipe adds 4hp/5lbft at the crank which isn't enough to notice on the SOTP dyno, but every little bit helps and it's an easy bolt-on.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:19 PM
Jon Campbell

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
According to Ford Racing the X-pipe adds 4hp/5lbft at the crank which isn't enough to notice on the SOTP dyno, but every little bit helps and it's an easy bolt-on.
yeah, ease of install matters. I wonder if there is a MPG increase? I know, I shouldn't be looking for mileage driving a Mustang, but again, every little bit helps.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:09 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

I wonder if there is a MPG increase?
Nothing I could detect.
I did get a mpg increase when I did the delete plates and underdrive pulleys at the same time, plus a further mpg increase when I did the aero mods.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Mustang2006GT/Aero.html
Old 07-20-2016, 06:33 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I wonder if there is a MPG increase? I know, I shouldn't be looking for mileage driving a Mustang, but again, every little bit helps.
I wouldn't expect any in anything even remotely resembling street driving.

I suppose that theoretically there might be a tiny improvement at high revs, up toward redline, due to a very slight decrease in average backpressure. But if you're running at or above maybe 5000 rpm most of the time like you might at an HPDE track day (and going through 4, maybe 4.5 gallons every 20 minutes on track), even if you did get a tiny fraction of a mpg better you still aren't going to notice.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-20-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:41 PM
Jon Campbell

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I wouldn't expect any in anything even remotely resembling street driving.

I suppose that theoretically there might be a tiny improvement at high revs, up toward redline, due to a very slight decrease in average backpressure. But if you're running at or above maybe 5000 rpm most of the time like you might at an HPDE track day (and going through 4, maybe 4.5 gallons every 20 minutes on track), even if you did get a tiny fraction of a mpg better you still aren't going to notice.

Norm
That being the case, the biggest benefit for having it is sound.

Still worth it.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:47 PM
Jon Campbell

So I installed my JLT Series 3 intake today with a 91octane Race tune and HOLY CRAP. The difference it made is incredible! Now I am thinking exhaust and I really like the pype bomb exhaust. I think they sound really good with the stock cats. Does anyone know if I will need to request another tune for an axle back? I would think not but thought I would ask.

Here is another one for ya. I currently have Cobra R wheels from an SN95 Cobra. I kinda like them but they seem to stick out a little. I have 255/40/17 in the back and the wheels are 17x9. Can I put 275/40/17s on it without worrying about the wheels sticking out? I am afraid of them kicking up pebbles and scratching my quarter panels.

Anyone else running a wheel and tire setup like that? in particular 275 tires on 17x9 SN95 wheels on an S197?
Old 07-26-2016, 02:36 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

So I installed my JLT Series 3 intake today with a 91octane Race tune and HOLY CRAP. The difference it made is incredible!
That was also my reaction when I did this as my first mod.

Now I am thinking exhaust and I really like the pype bomb exhaust. I think they sound really good with the stock cats. Does anyone know if I will need to request another tune for an axle back?
No, you can keep the same tune. When it comes to exhausts, you only need a retune if you either install LT headers or delete the cats.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:56 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

That being the case, the biggest benefit for having it is sound.

Still worth it.
True. After 8 years and change, I'm looking for a slightly different sound for my track time.

On your tires and Cobra R wheel matter . . . too close for me to call, especially if you've lowered your car.

The best I can do is give you a comparative plot and a picture to look at. Your proposed setup is the red outline. The outer flanges of your 'R' wheels will sit in about the same place as where my track wheel's outer flanges do, but your tires will bulge out way more than mine (I think something like 3/4" more). There's less than 1/4" diameter difference between your 275/40-17's and my 285/35-18's (26" or slightly less) . . . and FWIW you're throwing away a ton of room on the inside.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-26-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:28 AM
Jon Campbell

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
True. After 8 years and change, I'm looking for a slightly different sound for my track time.

On your tires and Cobra R wheel matter . . . too close for me to call, especially if you've lowered your car.

The best I can do is give you a comparative plot and a picture to look at. Your proposed setup is the red outline. The outer flanges of your 'R' wheels will sit in about the same place as where my track wheel's outer flanges do, but your tires will bulge out way more than mine (I think something like 3/4" more). There's less than 1/4" diameter difference between your 275/40-17's and my 285/35-18's (26" or slightly less) . . . and FWIW you're throwing away a ton of room on the inside.

Norm
Thanks, that is helpful. My car is not lowered. At least not yet. I do want to get new wheels but they are not in the budget right now and I am about to need new rear tires. I have 255/40/17s on the rear now and they just look to small so I was thinking to get a couple 275s to last me until I can get a whole new set of wheels and tires.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:09 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Please note that the picture was taken before I lowered the car that half inch. I should fix the sig pic, but that's just not gonna happen today.

Norm