Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Constant surging at idle ---Need Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 06:16 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Must have gotten that surging figured out
Old 03-14-2017, 12:39 PM
mustanger18

Soa quick update....

Mymustang is currently inside my shop waiting to get all the pieces for theHolley intake. They have been the worst to deal with. I ordered motion controldelete plates because the intake is too short and won't clear the alternator.Tried to install those and turns out I ran into another issue. When you line upthe plate holes and the intake holes, there is a 1/4” gap between the ports.Huge issue. I went to different machine shops and none would machine a new onewith plates that would fit. After multiple times contacting Holley, theyfinally said they have plates made for the intake we could test….where werethese months ago?! And why aren’t they selling them or recommending them withthe intake on their website?! I found another person on this forum that hasthis intake installed and he had the same issues. Holley sent him the platesand this was awhile ago. We should not be their testers forking out all the moneyourselves to make it work. I also had to get a throttle body spacer as thethrottle body to intake wouldn’t clear the alternator.

Turnsout the Holley designer of this intake said he only tested the intake on a baremotor…with NO components!! Did he not think hmmm, would this clear thealternator and coolant crossover and anything else?

Mymustang was yet still surging before I parked it in the shop. I’m thinking myBama Tuner screwed up my computer and that’s why it’s having the surge issues.So after I get the intake on and everything, I plan on finding a professionaltuner and have them make it right.

Whileit has been in the shop, I’ve added a Magnaflow H-pipe and their high flow catsso now my exhaust is all aftermarket.

Willupdate when I have more info. This has been very frustrating.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:37 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

So you don't have the holley on your car right now and its still surging? BBK's have been the culprits before but it sounded like you didn't believe that was the problem. Honestly Id return the part back to holley and move on. Go with the ford racing one if you want it that bad or place your money into something that will net some good gains.

IF you still have the stock throttle body, maf, and stock intake. Reinstall and get a new tune with current mod list to provide AM. Go from there. Maybe you have done this.

Anyway hope you get this handled
Good luck
Old 03-17-2017, 02:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by outceltj
So you don't have the holley on your car right now and its still surging? BBK's have been the culprits before but it sounded like you didn't believe that was the problem. Honestly Id return the part back to holley and move on. Go with the ford racing one if you want it that bad or place your money into something that will net some good gains.

IF you still have the stock throttle body, maf, and stock intake. Reinstall and get a new tune with current mod list to provide AM. Go from there. Maybe you have done this.

Anyway hope you get this handled
Good luck
I agree plus the BBK is already two years old. Longevity is a known issue with them. Their gears start binding and causing issues which, unless you swap the BBK TB out with a new one or another one to completely rule it out, you cannot rule out the existing TB as a potential source of the issue.