Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Constant surging at idle ---Need Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 04:36 PM
mustanger18

The maf sensor is fine and so is my throttle body. I tested everything about it and doesn't seem to be the issue. I've had the throttle body for 2 years now and no issue. The TPS and everything works on it.
I changed my spark plugs and they seemed to be pretty dirty after only 15k miles. Then replaced a coil and changed my tranny fluid, steering fluid, and checked the alternator, which actually was broken so I replaced that as well. I've done a lot of research and it sounds like it is my stock intake manifold. Just today I received two codes...P2005 and P2004 and those are intake manifold runner control stuck Bank 2 and Bank 1. It sounds like my runner blades are not working properly and hence the reason why I am getting lean and rich codes and surging.

So my next purchase is going to be an aftermarket intake manifold. I'm looking at the Holley 829082 Sniper EFI Fabricated Intake Manifold as it is aluminum and will actually provide more performance and delete that stupid runner control all together.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:53 PM
mustanger18

Actually I mean the C&L intake manifold. The Holley won't fit
Old 10-05-2016, 05:27 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

its an ideal time to make your own charge motion delete plates, cheap and real eazy. you will need a handheld tuner to turn off the factory CMP (charge motion plate) settings. I don't have the link handy anymore but I just googled "DIY charge motion delete plates". I have additional tips if you choose that route. I did mine 2 yrs ago and it only cost $20 and a weekend. you can go the really cheap route and just wire them open and turn off the CMP setting. you can always just take your intake off and clean the plates with TB cleaner, that is if the motor for them is still good. good luck
Old 10-13-2016, 08:36 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustanger18
Actually I mean the C&L intake manifold. The Holley won't fit
I don't think they make the C&L anymore. Btw, that Holley looks cool, but does that even fit under the hood or do you need a cowl hood?

Last edited by flash_xx; 10-13-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:55 PM
mustanger18

I have the Holley intake manifold coming in. You are correct, C&L no longer makes them. After spending a lot of time with Holley techs on the phone, they determined it should fit my mustang. Once I receive it, I'll update this further after the install and let you know of any issues I may run across.

I also noticed I'm leaking through my valve covers, so I have a new set of Ford Racing valve covers coming in. While I have those off I'm going to replace the cylinder head temperature sensor. Hopefully the intake comes in by this weekend. My car is now having a misfire on cylinder 3, noticed there was oil on the boot and the new spark plugs. I'm replacing all the coil boots with Accels, already done 4 of them now, might as well make them match the yellow. Getting really frustrating as there are so many intermittent problems. Just today my battery level gauge went low as I had the heat and radio on, yet it's got a new 240 amp alternator and new battery. Also when I was letting it idle and warm up in the parking lot, I raised the throttle to about 2k rpms and it kinda stuck for a minute and went slowly down. Did it a couple times.....never had that happen before.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:06 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustanger18
I have the Holley intake manifold coming in. You are correct, C&L no longer makes them. After spending a lot of time with Holley techs on the phone, they determined it should fit my mustang. Once I receive it, I'll update this further after the install and let you know of any issues I may run across.

I also noticed I'm leaking through my valve covers, so I have a new set of Ford Racing valve covers coming in. While I have those off I'm going to replace the cylinder head temperature sensor. Hopefully the intake comes in by this weekend. My car is now having a misfire on cylinder 3, noticed there was oil on the boot and the new spark plugs. I'm replacing all the coil boots with Accels, already done 4 of them now, might as well make them match the yellow. Getting really frustrating as there are so many intermittent problems. Just today my battery level gauge went low as I had the heat and radio on, yet it's got a new 240 amp alternator and new battery. Also when I was letting it idle and warm up in the parking lot, I raised the throttle to about 2k rpms and it kinda stuck for a minute and went slowly down. Did it a couple times.....never had that happen before.
Did you get the intake manifold?
Old 11-22-2016, 09:58 AM
mustanger18

I got the intake manifold, but Holley didn’t take into account the different emission sensors that occur on 4.6L’s. Mainly the fuel pressure/temperature sensor that mounts into the fuel rail. You’ll see the BBK and other aftermarket fuel rails have the hole built in, Holley’s did not. I can say that I will never order from Holley again. They have the worst customer service, they didn’t even do their research and development on this intake and the fuel rails. The holes are below instead of on the side, so you need longer hoses, which of course they didn’t provide. Plus there are four holes when I only need 2 and they didn’t provide the plugs for those additional holes. Another issue is their directions on the paper versus online were completely different. When we ordered fittings and plugs for the intake and hoses, it said 3- 3/8 NPT holes and 1 ¼ NPT hole, well turns out the 3/8 is way too big. Go onto their website and it says 3- 1/8 NPT holes. That’s a big difference! Another issue is they didn’t provide all the hardware and when everything is black, the brackets for the fuel rails they provided are cheap looking and silver, basically they made a really cool looking intake manifold, but that’s about it. No research and no testing. They launched his as a “new” product, but say they are still in the development of fixing the fuel rails to account for the sensor…..yeah they didn’t know about the sensor until I had to draw a picture and show them what it looks like.

Holley gave me the biggest run around I’ve ever experienced with a company. Most of the techs have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to fuel injected motors. They first said oh yeah we will work with you and design something to make it work for you so you can showcase it, and then basically turned around and said we won’t be helping or sending any additional parts, and all we can do is give you 10% off your next order…..yeah that basically covers the tax, awesome. So with the intake and fuel rails I am about $1000 into it. I had to buy braided hoses and the fittings for those as well as some other fittings that oh yeah I got from Holley separately and they were wrong as well with no returns even though the tech said it would fit! Then I am making a bracket for my fuel pressure sensor out of aluminum with lots of time of a drill press using taps to make the fittings work to plug into the fuel rail at the end.

It is a never ending project that I am hoping will be completed by next weekend. I will post photos when it is installed and of the progress.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yeah, I've never considered Holley for Fuel Injected cars. Unlike Edelbrock which knocked it out of the park with their main offering of a S/C system for the 4.6L, Holley seems to just be disappearing into the fog. It sucks you're project has turned into what it has.

Definitely get a dyno tune once you're done. From the sounds of your experience, I wouldn't accept a tune from them if they paid me. Might lean you out and cause you to pop your motor!
Old 11-23-2016, 05:45 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Damn, that sucks. Hopefully you'll get it sorted out, but not buying from Holley ever again is a good start. Since the intake has so many issues I'd look really carefully inside to make sure there are no metal bits left over that could fall into the engine and as stated above make sure you get a good tune.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:21 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

So is it still surging?