Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Ball Joints at 45K????

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 01:50 PM
red07gt
1st Gear Member

Default Ball Joints at 45K????

Took my Mustang in to my usual mechanic recently for an inspection..car has 45K on it. I've been going to my mechanic for 25+ years and he is the type of mechanic we all want...truthful, honest and only points out a problem when it's real. After dropping off my car for the inspection, I had to go back as my wallet fell out of my pants between the seats. He had my car on the lift and after retrieving my wallet he told me my ball joints were on the way out. He showed me the play in the ball joints and said he has serviced many a S197 Mustang but this is the earliest he has seen them start to wear out. He passed my car but indicated they should be replaced fairly soon. Has anyone else experienced such early ball joint failure? I don't drive the car hard and the roads around here are pretty good so this is definitely an unpleasant surprise.

Carter
Old 11-27-2016, 07:00 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I've heard of it. Most guys I know just replace the entire A arm with a new piece. BMR makes some.

My car has 50k hard miles...crossing fingers.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:48 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Simon... they don't service the ball join, you have to replace the arm anyway.

OP, as for low mileage on an older car, not rare as the rubber may dry out and let water get in and cause premature wear...
Old 11-27-2016, 11:31 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by red07gt
He showed me the play in the ball joints and said he has serviced many a S197 Mustang but this is the earliest he has seen them start to wear out.
Not unusual if you have to drive over a lot of speed bumps. They're the devil!
Old 11-29-2016, 11:10 AM
red07gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
Not unusual if you have to drive over a lot of speed bumps. They're the devil!
I do have quite a bit of speedbumps at my work so that is probably the cause. I don't hit them hard but I guess they are the culprit!
Old 11-29-2016, 12:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Just get the FRPP M3075E control arms. They are the GT-500 ones which have a slightly higher durometer on the bushings and a 17mm ball joint stud vs the 05-07 15 or 16 mm.

And yes, it's common due to age not miles driven. The big fat bushing is a fluid filled one so simply replacing the ball joint itself is just a waste of time.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:25 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Simon... they don't service the ball join, you have to replace the arm anyway.

OP, as for low mileage on an older car, not rare as the rubber may dry out and let water get in and cause premature wear...

I think I recall that. Someone somewhere else was asking because some mechanic quoted him for ball joint replacement. At least it can be a DYI thing.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:29 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by red07gt
I do have quite a bit of speedbumps at my work so that is probably the cause. I don't hit them hard but I guess they are the culprit!
Fortunately you can buy the ball joints separately so there's no need to buy the whole control arm:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...ll+joint,10070
Old 11-30-2016, 07:33 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I would like someone with some Ford expertise Like a tech) weigh in on this. I can't find the thread on another forum I was thinking about. But I recall someone saying they had be pressed in. So it's like $200 give or take for new A arms with the ball joint included, I wonder how much it would be to have them replaced at a shop with just OEM stuff...
Old 12-14-2016, 10:21 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

ill be damned if I'm not getting some light vibration turning left. I order the gt500 arms. Be the first mod I have added in a few years!!!!